Rapini /broccoli raab and pigeons

• 4 Replies

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Rapini /broccoli raab and pigeons
« on: April 30, 2009, 15:05 »
I and going to try some rapini or broccoli raab and wondered if it gets attacked by pigeons like real broccoli; it is not a true brassica and apparently related to turnips, so wondered if the flying rats still went for it (I have used up all my netting on other things).

Charlie

Gardeningguru

Re: Rapini /broccoli raab and pigeons
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 16:08 »
I grow "Cima di Rapa" which is a turnip top family species, and yes the Pigeons do have a go at them.   I cover mine till they'r big enough to fend of attack.  :)

gobs

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 22:07 »
All of them are brassica and all be favourite with pigeons. The only one in my experience that they  phew on is kale. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 19:06 »
I and going to try some rapini or broccoli raab and wondered if it gets attacked by pigeons like real broccoli; it is not a true brassica and apparently related to turnips,

It is a brassica, B. rapa (like turnips) as opposed to B. oleracea (like cabbages, caulis, kales, broccolis etc.).  It will suffer all the same problems as its close relatives, although since it's in the ground for such a short time it may suffer less heavy infestations of some pests.  Mind you, pigeons will eat almost any greens if they're hungry enough, so I think some netting may be in your future ;)

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 20:09 »
Got a free packet of Broccoli Raab seeds with Grow Your Own Mag today so may be trying them for the first time.  Was thinking of trying them in a pot, but those cabbage white will still be after them I guess?

clip
Broccoli Raab

Started by lettice on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 08:28
by New shoot
xx
Interplant broad beans with turnips/rapini?

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 19:23
by DavidT
xx
pigeons ?

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 20:49
by Yorkie
xx
Pigeons

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 20:04
by azubah

Page created in 0.945 seconds with 36 queries.