Potting on and hardening up?

• 8 Replies

gawk

Potting on and hardening up?
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:45 »
I've been putting my cucumbers and toms outside when the weather permits (3 or 4 days now) to start hardening them up a bit. Today I potted the cucumbers on from 3 inch to 5 inch pots, should I let them rest indoors today or is it ok to keep them outside to continue the hardening up process?

Also, these will be going into an unheated greenhouse on the plot, they will not be planted outside. How much hardening up do I need to do, is it the same amount as if they were going outside or am I doing too much already?
It's all too much!

Gardeningguru

Re: Potting on and hardening up?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:11 »
Im not an expert,  but if they were my plants, I'd "harden them off" for at least a week or ten days as a minimum.  A week longer on top wouldn't hurt..

If anything it reduces the stress on the plant, while maintaining a good growth rate, which is the whole idea of it.

After that period of time I would have no hesistation at all, to planting into an unheated greenhouse.  They are quite a few degrees warmer at night than the outside, an at this time of year that counts for alot..

shay

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:15 »
My greenhouse shares the garden with 2 dogs who are far from smart, so was wondering if I open both the doors to allow for major circulation would this be enough for hardening up purposes or do I literally need to get them out of the unheated greenhouse completely?

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 13:40 »
Also, these will be going into an unheated greenhouse on the plot, they will not be planted outside.

I wouldn't bother trying to harden them off unless you deliberately want to slow down their growth rate for some reason?

My greenhouse shares the garden with 2 dogs who are far from smart, so was wondering if I open both the doors to allow for major circulation would this be enough for hardening up purposes or do I literally need to get them out of the unheated greenhouse completely?

If the plants are going to be grown outdoors, then you should find ways to protect them from your dogs and start to harden them outside (put on a table/barricade/do not leave the dogs unattended ... whatever you need to do  ;))  The plants will still be in a warm protected environment inside a greenhouse, so they will still grow soft and a bit sappy in the stem

I'm intrigued by the "unheated greenhouse" in both posts - at this time of year, the sun's strength heats up a greenhouse quite a lot, if anything, you might have to consider ways to "cool" it down such as ventilation or shading.  I lost a whole batch of sweet peppers & chillies exactly a year ago due to ultra strong sunlight and overheating about this time of year (my own fault - I'd closed the door overnight, but forgot to open up the next morning)!!!

Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

shay

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 13:46 »
Yes you are right as you say it is still warm without any type of heater. Will get to work building a temp fence for the path way, so the dogs can just lust after my plants. :)

gawk

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 14:00 »
I'm intrigued by the "unheated greenhouse" in both posts - at this time of year, the sun's strength heats up a greenhouse quite a lot, if anything, you might have to consider ways to "cool" it down such as ventilation or shading.  I lost a whole batch of sweet peppers & chillies exactly a year ago due to ultra strong sunlight and overheating about this time of year (my own fault - I'd closed the door overnight, but forgot to open up the next morning)!!!

Hi paintedlady, I mentioned the 'unheated' greenhouse because the plants are going to go from a nicely pampered environment (the conservatory window sill) into the greenhouse which will be colder at night and hotter during sunny days. Just making sure they will survive without hardening them up?

paintedlady

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 14:38 »
 ;)  tomato and cucumber plants are a lot hardier than you think gawk and should be fine if they are growing well now.  Outside they have to contend with whiplash from wind, sudden hailstorm (okay, perhaps not the best time to try & harden a plant) and everything weather has to throw at it, as well as very cold temperatures at night (even an unheated greenhouse retains some heat overnight)  If night time temperatures worry you, you could always try the mini greenhouse in a greenhouse approach, but don't forget to take the cover off during the day (otherwise it'll get far too hot for the plants)

gawk

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 15:05 »
Thanks for the info paintedlady, I think it is time to free up some room indoors and get them into the greenhouse.

Gardeningguru

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 16:13 »
;)  tomato and cucumber plants are a lot hardier than you think gawk and should be fine if they are growing well now.  Outside they have to contend with whiplash from wind, sudden hailstorm (okay, perhaps not the best time to try & harden a plant) and everything weather has to throw at it, as well as very cold temperatures at night (even an unheated greenhouse retains some heat overnight)  If night time temperatures worry you, you could always try the mini greenhouse in a greenhouse approach, but don't forget to take the cover off during the day (otherwise it'll get far too hot for the plants)

I might try that with some,  i've always hardened off plants that are going into an unheated greenhouse,  I assumed the temp drop overnight would be more significant in a greenhouse than a lovely warm windowsill indoors.   But yes, during the day mines gotten very warm bordering hot in the sunshine.

xx
Hardening Off ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 10:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Hardening off

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 14:12
by mumofstig
xx
Hardening off

Started by peanut97 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2007, 08:57
by newbiegrower
xx
Hardening Off...

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 22, 2013, 23:59
by al78

Page created in 1.011 seconds with 28 queries.