What would you plant in theese problem places in my garden ?

• 14 Replies

garddwr

Hello,

I need some advice from the gardeners here if possible.

I have some areas in the garden that look a little bare and ugly and "troubled"

OK I'll begin.

Area A

Its right under the ucaluptus tree,soil isn't great but I've been improving it all winter adding leafmould and compost e.t.c so it's not bad and it has quite a bit of shade but some sun under the tree. Ground Elder and other pest weeds growing through the stone wall which I can't physicaly get to to remove.

What would you plant here,preferably a perennial or tree's conifers maybe ?

But I would like wild flowers if their possible there and I also have some asters and dahlias grown from seed will they be fine there ?

Area B

This is the other side of the tree and is the worse bit:

It has almost full shade so I don't know what would be suitable here.T
he soil is worse,more roots e.t.c but it has its benifits not as many weeds.
Anything with not a lot of trouble likes poor soil that sort of thing.

And the last Area C:

This is an area by the side fence of the garden under trees and there is a lot of shade probably full shade and  the soil is very very shallow. From what I understand the soil here is where they threw out the ash from the fire in the olden days so I don't know what sort of soil it is and what would be good here. Something to fill out nicely with a bit of height.

Thanks thats all I hope anyone can asist me a bit in my dilema here

Thanks again

Garddwr

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Re: What would you plant in theese problem places in my garden ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 15:22 »
 :) That wall  is just crying out for houseleek (Sempervivum Tectorum).
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 15:51 »
Also a vote for house leeks in the wall.

How about wild Garlic (Ramsoms) for the shady spot, if they take they will spread and you eat the leaves (You can eat the bulbs as well but then you get less leaves).

Bob

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 16:23 »
and aubretia and alpines :)
If the soil by the gate is acid a nice rhododendrum or azalea would look nice.

garddwr

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 16:47 »
Thanks for the suggestions so far they are all a great inspiration and I have thought about the area by the gate and I have come up with a plan. It would be quite costy but it will look nice. And I have to give the credit to Alan Titchmarsh's gardening in the shade book I bought in Leeds over Easter !

Anyway here it is :

With this plan I would have to clear the very shallow soil that's already there and put in a raised bed with good drainage.

What do you think and please keep your suggestions coming in as I'm going to try and do a similar plant for Area A and B.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 17:29 »

And some harts tongue ferns.  Buy 1 and split it and pug them into the wall.
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 17:35 »
Thanks for the suggestions so far they are all a great inspiration and I have thought about the area by the gate and I have come up with a plan. It would be quite costy but it will look nice. And I have to give the credit to Alan Titchmarsh's gardening in the shade book I bought in Leeds over Easter !

Anyway here it is :

With this plan I would have to clear the very shallow soil that's already there and put in a raised bed with good drainage.

What do you think and please keep your suggestions coming in as I'm going to try and do a similar plant for Area A and B.

Begonias, do well in shade, and if you plant the green leaf ones with white flowers, they will stand out really.   Busy lizzies, like the shade as well.  Loklks like a good plan.  Mrs Bouquet

garddwr

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 20:23 »
Thanks Mrs B.

Do you think the euonymus will be fine in the deep shade by the gate.

Will normal B+Q multi purpose do fine to fill the raised  bed filled with mixed with sharp sand and loose gravel ?

Then the costly plan is membrane and bark on the top because it's cheap and it will create a nice woodland feel (hopefully!)

Any more suggestions for Area A ? And I have decided that I will sow grass seed in Area B to keep cost and work down and I'll just  try and blend it in with the lawn.

Thanks

sclarke624

Calendula (pot marigold), ox eye daisy, alpine strawberries, shasta daisies, lavender, cornflowers, babies breath (Gypsophila), Lilies, gladioli, Montana clementis http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/6827.shtml

Astilbe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/75.shtml

Choisya ternata
Mexican orange blossom
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/181.shtml

Foxgloves.

Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mrs bouquet

I would be worried about the Euonymus,  They do alright in sun or partial shade, but the verigated and deciduous varieties do need full sun.  Maybe you could consider some taller ferns to go in the deep shaded areas.  Mrs Bouquet

mrs bouquet

I've just thought of some other things that do really well in full shade:-
Tiarella,  Huchera, primulas,  cyclamen, mahonia.  I expect I'll think or some more later.
Good luick,  Mrs Bouquet

joyce c

Mahonia
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 17:23 »
My 5ft Mahonia has lost all it's lower leaves, and now looks like like an umberella (just foliage on the top.  Although I'm going to train a sweet pea plant up it to disguise the bareness of the stalk, could anyone advise as to how I can get the foliage to start growing again.

mrs bouquet

The Mahonias don't need alot of maintence but if they do require some top leaves being removed, it should be done right now.  If it were me, I would reduce it by half its height, (or whatever height yu want it to be) but only selectively,  so that you only thin out about half of the bush.  Then when that has regrown, next year you can do the other half.  Always a good way to prune a shrub and it "hedges " your bets, Good luck, Mrs Bouquet

joyce c

The Mahonias don't need alot of maintence but if they do require some top leaves being removed, it should be done right now.  If it were me, I would reduce it by half its height, (or whatever height yu want it to be) but only selectively,  so that you only thin out about half of the bush.  Then when that has regrown, next year you can do the other half.  Always a good way to prune a shrub and it "hedges " your bets, Good luck, Mrs Bouquet
Sorry I've not explained properly.  All I have is a stick (stem/stalk) with leaves around the very top only. Absolutely no foliage right down the stem.  Mind you, it is a good talking point when folk visit.   :)

mrs bouquet

Well, if you are happy to risk it, lop it all down now, quite low. regards, Mrs Bouquet

xx
Possible hanging basket plant for windy places.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2014, 11:37
by Goosegirl
question
Unidentified plant in my garden!

Started by handmadetsunami on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 21:07
by tallulah
xx
Unkown plant in garden - can anyone help?

Started by graces-chickens on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 22:45
by graces-chickens
xx
Can I plant this rose in the garden?

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 19:28
by sion01

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 37 queries.