Are these poos normal for chicks? Help!!

• 5 Replies

Fredschook

Are these poos normal for chicks? Help!!
« on: April 28, 2009, 23:31 »
Hi! I am pretty new to keeping chickens & have recently been given 2 chicks from my daughters school. The chicks are now 5 weeks old and doing really well, except for their poos!! Recently one or two of thier poos a day have what looks like a red mucus / jelly like substance in it. The lady who i bought my POL girls from thought it could be coccidiosis and I have been treating them with the coxid she gave me for the last 7 days.
However, looking at your chicken poo pics, thier poos look very much like those with intestinal lining, but I was wondering if they would be having these sort of poos on a regular basis?
Other than these poos they are fine, eating and drinking well and really lively!!
Any help or advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated!! :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Are these poos normal for chicks? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 23:48 »
Hi Fred.  I'd be wary of giving small chicks coxoid.  What are you feeding them on?  We give ours farmgate feed which has an anticoccidiostat in it already, so if you give them something like that, they shouldn't have coccidiosis.

I'd be inclined to go with aunties pics if the chicks have no sign of illness and are eating and drinking fine, but then I'm no expert.

Fredschook

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:47 »
Hi! Thank you very much for replying to me.
We had the chicks at 10 days old & I put them on a medicated chick crumb with the anticoccidiostat. The poos that they have are all fine, except literally an odd one or two with this red mucus in it - for about the last 10 days. Being new to keeping chicks I really want to make sure they're all ok !! :)
I think you are right & the pics of the coccidiosis poos are much more bright red compared to my chicks' which are far more like the intestinal lining pic.
Do you know if they have these sorts of poos often?
I will take them off the coxiod & put them back on thier medicated crumb & thank you again :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 13:36 »
Hi Fred, no I don't know how often they do it, as with having a lot of chicks like I do, you see poo like that all the time.  I rememer at first I got really worried about it, but the people on here were very helpful!

Fredschook

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 14:19 »
Hi! As a first timer with chicks, it is very worrying!!
To know that others have experienced the same thing, such as yourself with your chicks,  and it is nothing serious is really reassuring.
Thank you so much for replying to me and helping to put my mind at rest - very much appreciated!!! :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 21:39 »
You are very welcome Fred!  there are a lot of people on here with many years experience of keeping chickens.

there is usually someone around with a good answer!  Hope your chicks continue to thrive!!!

xx
is this normal new chicks havent moved since i got them about 4 hrs ago!

Started by traacyken on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post March 25, 2014, 11:08
by traacyken
xx
baby chicks have green peee is this normal????

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 10:20
by rachelr
xx
watery poos

Started by maninvan on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 18:22
by maninvan
xx
chicken poos

Started by smarty456 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 12:00
by smarty456

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 36 queries.