Poorly hen - should I flap or chill?

• 6 Replies

Sparkle

Poorly hen - should I flap or chill?
« on: April 28, 2009, 16:28 »
Hi everyone

I am a new girl on the block so please bear with me if I am asking a 'newby' question

I have had 8 hens from a free range farm (ranging in age from 1 - 3 years old) for 2 weeks and everything has been going swimmingly apart from the emergence of an egg eater - but am on the case with this!

However have been keeping an eye on one of the 3yr olds as she didnt seem to be as in your face as the others and today she has started doing all the classic under the weather symptoms that I have read about - hunched, dull. tail down, very crappy bum etc - not interested in corn - and so she is obviously not right .

My question is...........
do I immediately rush in, wash the dodo off, seperate her and give her some minerals (or something) or do I leave it for a day or so and see if she gets better?

The other problem is I don't have anywhere separate  to put her yet apart from the metal feed shed or a greenhouse!

I am anxious to treat her right but not be a flapper
Any advice very gratefully received

Sparkle

Sparkle

Re: Poorly hen - should I flap or chill?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 16:43 »
Sorry - me again -! I forgot to add that she seems to be shaking/ twitching her head as well - any ideas?

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 18:00 »
Could be the start of myoplasma which will need a trip to the vets and some antibiotics to be on safe side.  with mine when they came down with this the first sign was the head shaking as they try to clear the nostrils of runny mucus.  Sooner the better really as she is one of the oldest may be a bit more run down from all the egg laying over the last few years.  Vet will advise to prob give meds to all as they sneeze on each other and spread that way.  You could just put her in dog crate or in a garage/shed to give her some rest if poss to reduce spread of infection.  May be that you could give your vet a ring and ask advice and you may not even have to take bird into stress it.  See how you get and and good luck.
mrs.ploppy

Sparkle

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 21:07 »
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!
It's so hard to know what to do when you are a novice!
 She went in ok with the other girls tonight and had eaten and drunk while I was flapping over her so i didn't want to stress her by doing too much tonight but one of the hens is laying really strange ridged and bumpy eggs so if this is her that might explain things so I think I will stick her in a warm bath tomorrow, clean her up
and then I will separate her and phone vet if there is no improvement -

Cheers
Sparkle

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:04 »
i hope she gets better.
(although, do prepare yourself fo the worst - one of our ex-batts died recently after similar symptoms - I don't want to worry you unduly.)

hope the vet could sort her out.

and while you keep her separate, greenhouses are great!  they usually have slabs underneath to prevent mr fox getting in and plenty of soil and interesting pots for her to muck around in....  :D

Sparkle

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 22:42 »
just a quick update on poorly chuck
still a bit sorry for herself but still in with the others,
she eventually came out of the house to sit in the sunshine, I gave her a bath in warm water to clean her filthy bum which she didn't mind about, she later popped an egg out in the run I think and I managed to get her eating again by tempting her with my last live goatsmilk yoghurt and then she started eating a bit of corn
she's still not right but a bit brighter than yesterday - that said I hope she doesn't prove me wrong and pop her clogs in the night, poor old girl
Thanks for the advice and support

Vember

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 22:48 »
Hi Sparkle

You said her head was twitching, just wondering if it's a crop problem? I had one do that and it's crop was impacted ???

If possible check the crop first thing in the morning before she's eaten anything, it should feel quite empty :)

Was the egg she laid normal or a softie? Softies really take it out of the girls when they are trying to pass them :(

Sarah :)

sad
Is my Ex-bat moulting and how can I get another to chill out?

Started by Mrs S on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 18:07
by Mrs S
question
Can chickens get a chill?

Started by juliag on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 11:01
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cat or Dog flap for a pop hole??

Started by Julesanne on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 11:19
by wildwitchy
xx
'cat flap' for chicken house?

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 08:34
by RichardH

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.