Different breeds and sizes

• 1 Replies

Cabbie37

Different breeds and sizes
« on: April 28, 2009, 16:28 »
Howdy - my current flock is a group of 8 Lavender Pekins that I've had for a year or two, bolstered by some I hatched out last summer. My last lot, Marans, were got by the fox when carelessly looked after by a neighbour whilst I was away  :mad:. Anyway, Pekins being the bird they are are always going broody and recently I've been put in touch with a Maran owner not far away who can provide fertilised eggs - you can see where this is going...

I have two questions for the more experienced than I on the forum. First, how many eggs would it be reasonable to pop under a Pekin given that Maran eggs are larger than the Pekins...?

Second question, and more to the point, does anyone have any experience of running large and small hens together? Will the Marans dominate the Pekins (in a bad way)? I'm assuming that pecking order will let them raise to the top, but I'm more worried about how a (possible) Maran Cockerel will get on with my Pekin Cockerel?

Many thanks for any suggestions..

Cabbie

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: Different breeds and sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 18:06 »
Having two cock birds together is almost sertainly a no no as they would fight too the death over the females but having different size hens is ok as they sort their order out between them.  I have 5 differnt breeds together with out too much trouble.  As for the eggs for brooding I should imagine that she could fit about 4 under comfortably.  Many more and the outside ones may not get enough coverage.  Someone else may have a better insight to that one than me.
mrs.ploppy

xx
Are all Large Breeds Broody Breeds?

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 22:09
by uba
xx
Runs and sizes?

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 11:52
by bashful_badger
xx
Egg sizes/weights

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 16:03
by ANHBUC
xx
Mixing the sizes.

Started by Midwife on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 13:55
by Midwife

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 36 queries.