Have i got a tiny allotment?

• 47 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Have i got a tiny allotment?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 21:31 »
half plots make sense, but think the tiny plots are just to reduce the waiting list.
There's not enough space to grow much at all :(

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 00:22 »
Just to put some things in perspective, some of us have to make do with 25 square yards in a garden eight miles away!  :wub:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 06:46 »
I cant moan about my site i have managed to get 3 plot mine, dad's and a mate of mine since January.  i think all the work we have done has helped us tho as my plot was unused for many years as people were scared of taking it on i was told by the site manager.  Like in this post it says about tree's and stuff surrounding the area putting people off not me i got my chainsaw surferticket (lenny herny add on the radio)
Thanks
Kris

Thamesmeadhammer

• Tony & Ali's Allotment
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 11:56 »
I've got 2 half plots.

Reasons behind this is plot 1 is often flooded as no one has worked it for about 5 years and plot 2 I got just after Christmas and again I found car batteries, a lorry diesel tank, about 100 plastic containers of all sizes that have had it and just break as soon as look at them.

I did ask for a full plot, but for some reason the council didn't want to offer me one ?!

Now the plan is to have plot 1 growing standard veg while plot 2 will be for fruit.

Both plots are about 350 sq foot

wellingtons

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 11:57 »
Unfortunately square metres means very little to me ... I'm more of a how long by how wide is the plot kinda girl.  But everyone else clearly knows that 40 square metres is quite small and I'm working on the logic that whatever space you have is equivalent to 40 metres long by one metre wide ... I do hope that the space is more practical than that!!

On our site all the plots are supposed to be 10 rods.  If you look at them, all of them seems to be slightly different sizes, some quite a bit smaller than others.  But I suppose a rod is an odd measurement anyway.

My plot is about 120 feet by 35 feet ... and apparently that's 10 rods, but the guy next door also has 10 rods and his plot is about 10 feet wider than mine and a couple of feet longer.  

I was offered the chance to move to a different plot after a year, but I had put in an awful lot of hardwork and really didn't want to move.  

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 13:44 »
Unfortunately square metres means very little to me ... I'm more of a how long by how wide is the plot kinda girl.  

My plot is about 120 feet by 35 feet ... and apparently that's 10 rods, but the guy next door also has 10 rods and his plot is about 10 feet wider than mine and a couple of feet longer.  

According to the web 1 rod = 5.5 yards or 5.092 metres depending on your preference.

A standard 10 rod plot would therefore be 11 yards (10 metres) wide by 28 yards (25 metres) long (or dimensions that are equal to this in area).

This means that your plot is about 15 rods – (roughly 2 rods wide by 7.5 rods long). I would keep quiet about that if I was you!  ;)

wellingtons

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 14:08 »
Well I never ... lol ... and I've got one of the average sized plots.   ???

george007

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 09:06 »
Just to put some things in perspective, some of us have to make do with 25 square yards in a garden eight miles away!  :wub:

ooooh when i were a lad we didn't even have that. we had to grow in an old shoebox
size 6..

there is always one:)

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 09:37 »

ooooh when i were a lad we didn't even have that. we had to grow in an old shoebox
size 6..

there is always one:)

:D

My first one was in't middle of 't road...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 12:06 »
When I were a lass it were 'alf an eggshell filled with cress
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 12:29 »
When I were a lass it were 'alf an eggshell filled with cress
Luxury!  :D
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 13:01 »
Mine's 6m by 5m which is 30 square metre so slightly smaller but trying to make good use of the tiny space. I'm thinking of dividing it into 8 raised beds next year each measuring 2.2m by 1m with spaces to walk between of 60 cm.
That is if I done the measurement right ;)

paintedlady

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 14:55 »
with spaces to walk between of 60 cm.

:ohmy: that's rather wide for a footpath between beds unless you have special need for one that wide?  My communal footpath between neighbouring plots is only 40 cm!!!!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 15:03 »
with spaces to walk between of 60 cm.

:ohmy: that's rather wide for a footpath between beds unless you have special need for one that wide?  My communal footpath between neighbouring plots is only 40 cm!!!!

Have you got your units muddled up Painted Lady :blink: 60cm between beds is only 2ft which is normal :) ???
If your communal footpath is only 40cm  (16in) it's very narrow, you couldn't get a wheel barrow up it :blink:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 15:58 by mumofstig »

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 15:24 »
No haven't got anything build yet as I only thought about it in the past couple of days.
As I said my patch is quite small so I haven't got space for a shed or anything to store tools or a weel barrow. I'm thinking of starting to build the raised beds in the winter ready for next year. I got a few things plabted up already.

60cm should work well for me as it gives me enough room to walk around. I did draw some plans but can't upload them as I'm on my laptop & haven't got a scanner plug to it.

xx
Been offered a tiny allotment - wondering whether to accept

Started by Parslee on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post March 05, 2014, 19:14
by wbmkk
xx
Bindweed grows from tiny tiny root left in the gound

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 20:50
by sunshineband
xx
tiny

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 12:13
by agapanthus
xx
Tiny strawberries

Started by Muddywaters on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 12:07
by lazza

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 39 queries.