Tiny eggs

• 8 Replies

Highfield

Tiny eggs
« on: April 27, 2009, 16:32 »
Twice now ( some weeks apart) I have had a really really tiny egg - properly formed but inside it is basically the white with a small yolk - hardly more than a yellow splash really.  All the others are full size - large / very large eggs.  Is this something to be concerned about?

We are still getting soft shelled ones most days despite  good quality layers pellets "on tap" with warm mash ( they'd go on strike if they didn't get their elevenses!) with added poultry spice, and grit and oyster shell  in a feeder.  Most days I add crushed baked egg shell and have also tried the stuff for horses but no difference with that either.  Not sure what else I can do! They free range over a large paddock and are very happy ex batts now.  We get between 6 and 9 eggs a day from 10 of them so am not complaining but is there something I am missing still?  Don't want to think I am depriving the girls!

Thanks

karlooben

Re: Tiny eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 19:22 »
hi highfeild , it sounds like you have a wind egg if i remember rightly thats a first egg and they will get bigger as the girls get older i have had a few of them from my ex batts. you also wont need to re feed them egg shells as grit or oyster shell will do just fine , do u feed the mash dry as thats what they are used to .

i get 14 eggs from 16 girls most days :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 20:24 »
They all seem to be soooooooooo different. Ive got 5 ex bats, all pets and very friendly  :D BUT only get one egg per day plus 1 without a shell !!!

2 of my girls havnt feathered up at all and its those that are laying. The other 3 have feathered up beutifully and are not layng . I think the ones feathering up have gone thro a moult after coming from the farm and therefor are not ready to lay, the other two just enjoy looking naked  :ohmy:  :ohmy:

Regards  Alby
wish I was a cat

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 20:31 »
 :lol: :lol: u better get them a jumper each

Highfield

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 21:41 »
If I tried to feed it dry it would end up over most of Devon and half of Wiltshire as well I think!! When we first had them I did all the right things and gave them mash dry - and a few pellets - they refused the mash point blank and emptied the pellets bowl like there was gonna be a famine tomorrow.  I tried for a while but most was just blowing away and the crows were getting it.  Then the weather turned bitterly cold so I added some warm water to it - partly for comfort food and partly to keep it in the damn bowl and they wolfed it up.  Ever since when I appear at about 11.30 ish with the dogs they all come running full tilt - wings flapping - and then I have to kind of weave my way through them as they try and fly up to the bowl to get it!  We got them in December but they learned very very fast!  Their absolute favourite though is live meal worms which I breed for them - and for the robins etc - I swear they'd kill their grannies for them ...    They don't get them very often but when they do I get mobbed every day for a week after to see if I have any more. Sadly they don't breed and grow fast enough for the girl's liking so they are rationed and have to hunt their own grubs in the paddock  and any stray wireworms and slugs I find when gardening.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 20:40 »
well now there was a suprize  :ohmy: 4 eggs today from my 5 Batty girls !!!

As for feeding them and treating them ??? they just love yorkshire puds and sweet corn. Always give them dry oats in the morning and the treats at night, try giving them cherry tomatoes and you will die laughing !!!! the Batts stick them on the end of thier beaks and RUN  :D  :D  :D Im never quick enough to get a pic but thier " ostrich run " with the red nose is gob smacking !!

Great wee girls arnt they  :wub: as for clothing ??? they just love wining the wet tee shirt competition as they love the rain  :D
  Alby

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 12:01 »
Ever since when I appear at about 11.30 ish with the dogs they all come running full tilt - wings flapping - and then I have to kind of weave my way through them as they try and fly up to the bowl to get it! 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just see them!!

I wouldn't worry about the wind-egg: you will get them from time-to-time now they're getting old.
As long as you're getting enough eggs in total and the birds are happy, it's all good.

Highfield

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 12:26 »
Thanks - first time chicken keeper so anxious to learn and do the right thing!

Funnier still is seeing them with the dogs - the boy especially who thinks they are his and is besotted with them.  I have Dalmatians and the chickens sidle up to them and try and peck the spots off!!  The other day the boy went over to where a chicken had found a grub or something and put his head down to sniff and got a sharp peck on the nose for his trouble.  He jumped backwards about a foot his tail wagging madly and did play bows to the chicken for about 10 minutes ...  the chicken just gave him a "you stupid boy" look and ignored him totally!!   ::)
They were by the way very carefully introduced to the chucks - and now they roam happily together, in case anyone is panicking about dogs and chickens being together!

too many girls

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 13:40 »
tomatoes and dalmations, this thread made me smile..................

xx
tiny eggs

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 12:44
by kzaba
xx
Tiny eggs

Started by Tattieman69 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 17:46
by North Devon Dumpling
xx
Tiny "fairy" eggs?

Started by sheridan on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 21:11
by CluckyChicken
xx
tiny egg

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 16:46
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 36 queries.