Butternut Squash seeds

• 5 Replies

jenjen

Butternut Squash seeds
« on: April 27, 2009, 13:39 »
Hi there I wandered if anyone can help me. I bought one pack of butternut squash seeds which cost £3.65 for only 5 seeds. Yesterday i chopped a butternut squash up for tea and kept about 100 seeds. If and how could i grow these or is it just not possible. I am new to all this and would appreciate some help please. Many thanks

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Butternut Squash seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 13:44 »
it is possible but the results might not be true to form if they have cross pollinated. basically the only way you are going to find out is to sow a couple and see what fruit you get.

jenjen

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 13:48 »
ok will give it a try and see what i get ! thankyou

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 13:57 »
I've successfully grown various squash from supermarket fruits before now, but there are several risks:
- the plant from which the squash came was a F1 hybrid, so the seeds you save and sow will not be true to the squash you ate
- the plant was diseased (especially a virus) which may be present in the seeds and affect other cucurbits on your plot that are not resistant to it
- the plant cross pollinated with another member of the squash family, so you may end up a very peculiar hybrid (unusual fruit shapes, colours & sizes)

To save, gently wash off any of the sticky fibres etc from the seeds - a lot of fruit contain enzymes which prevent germination.  Pat and air dry overnight.  Voila - saved seed  ;)  When sowing, always use the big fat ones first.

Going back to your post, that seems a very expensive pack of butternut squash seeds, especially for the number of seeds you got in the packet.  If you decide to buy anymore definitely shop around in future.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 14:06 »
Normally squash are promiscuous and pollinate with any squash in the neighbourhood, so this gives unpredictable results in future years as you don’t really know who the parents are! The same will go for a supermarket squash.

To avoid this you either buy new commercial seed or it can be possible to hand pollinate with the same variety and tie off the flowers to prevent insects cross-pollinating – this seems quite fiddly and so I go for the commercial seeds.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 14:20 by Trebor »

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 14:12 »
The is way too much for 5 seed. I hope it's not F1 seed then at least you can save the seed for next year.

I paid £1.69 for 14 and all germinated within 5 days.  I will also be saving the seed.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Butternut Squash Seeds

Started by Dabhand on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2007, 16:28
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Butternut Squash Seeds?????????????

Started by ineedhelp on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 17:20
by Kristen
xx
butternut squash seeds

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 22:42
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 36 queries.