Tasks for school gardening club

• 10 Replies

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Tasks for school gardening club
« on: April 26, 2009, 21:07 »
We are starting a gardening club at a primary school this week using all our freebies from a particular supermarkets great giveaway!
First task is obviously clear the patch which should be done by the end of the week. Then i was just wondering if anyone had any tasks which children (5-11) will enjoy (planting obviously being one of them!). I'm thinking of things like making a scarecrow, making jazzy labels etc (as the english weather isn't as reliable as the kids turning up!).

Any help and ideas greatly appreciated

steve

TheModfather

• VegPlotBlog
Re: Tasks for school gardening club
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 21:21 »
My Mum runs a primary school gardening club with a strong following! Generally I think they just eat biscuits, plant stuff and do a bit of weeding once a week - but they do enjoy it. However, every June, they have a plant sale and raise at least £200 selling to parents and local residents! Tomato plants are the best sellers I believe - we grow a lot of them at home to guarentee stock.

If you have any further questions, I'll run them by her if you want - shes been doing it a couple of years now and its always very popular.

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 21:59 »
If you can get hold of some, get some well-rotted natural compost and give the students a tray of the stuff.  They work in pairs with a science beaker and pick out all the bugs and creepy-crawlies they can find keeping a tally.  My group did this and it kept them busy for a whole hour and they loved seeing who could find the most worms, centipedes etc.  I was staggered.  You can get them to identify what they find by type - has it got 4 legs? 6 legs? 8 legs?.  Does it have an exokeleton etc?   

Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 22:47 »
If you can get hold of some, get some well-rotted natural compost and give the students a tray of the stuff.  They work in pairs with a science beaker and pick out all the bugs and creepy-crawlies they can find keeping a tally.  My group did this and it kept them busy for a whole hour and they loved seeing who could find the most worms, centipedes etc.  I was staggered.  You can get them to identify what they find by type - has it got 4 legs? 6 legs? 8 legs?.  Does it have an exokeleton etc?   

Sounds a good idea - there should be tons of science work related to gardening clubs...

You could try mixing soil samples with water (in a glass jar) then letting it settle to see what the soil is made of.

Sieving and filtering....??

Internet research and children's on-line garden clubs.... there must be one... if not BBC site?

Design a scarecrow using empty lemonade bottles?  Then make the winning design.

Keep a planting / growing / picking diary and add photos.... again using ICT.
Draw plans and record what is planted where - crop rotation for later.

Design: seed packet labels, poster to parents to come and view / buy the produce....

Produce a "Growing Tips" magazine and ask parents / grandparents to contribute and publish once a term..... You might even be able to invite people in to help / work with / talk to the children.

Ours go to a wholesale nursery for the day...It is huge.... all sorts to look at including propagation, potting on, growing, trees / shrubs bedding plants....then they come home with a small plant to grow on as a competition.

They could:
Make a model Shed and include a veg patch outside.... for this you could use a cardboard base, give the net of a cuboid and a triangular prism for the roof - glue the two together. Older children could make their own from scratch using card or square dowel and jinks-corners to make the frame.... Fit out the inside with tools , chair and model camping stove & kettle.

For the garden around the shed - use crepe-papers, pipe-cleaners and anything that takes their imagination to represent the plants...sphagnum moss is great as is glued on and then painted saw-dust. .corrugated cardboard for furrows..... cocktail sticks (ends cut off first with toe-nail clippers) for canes and stakes.... green wool / string for runner bean plants.....

Anyway..... sounds like fun!! Good luck!  :)

When I retire I think I might enjoy going back to work!!  ::)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

FCG

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 23:03 »
Try testing the PH of the soil. Basic science and lots of funky colours if you get the right kit. #

But for the love of god don't let them weed while they are still at the seedling stage, you'll end up with nothing left!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 23:09 »
Start off a comp with the largest pumpkin..ideas of what would help it grow, how big it will get (expect a humungous target!) what you can do with the flesh, how many tealight candles it will need to glow(again expect a humungous amount!)

And ASK them what they want to do! It will surprise you what ideas they have....make a questionaire and see if its viable to implement.

can you get a small pond going?I know theres H&S issues but if its small enough then that usually ok..its too late for taddy etc, but they can have a fish or two and work out a feeding rota, names, frogs for next year competition
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 02:00 »
You definitely need a list of ideas for "inside days" - the outside ones should be easy.

A rain dance? You know the sort of rain?

Over night only!!   ;)

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 06:23 »
Some good ideas here but how about a Wildlife Area?   
log pile,nest boxes,  insect hotel with bundles of sticks, canes etc + old wood with holes, clay pots filled with wood straw and joined together. Much of this could be done on a wet day- could be 'arty' as well
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 08:07 »
Hi

We run an online children's gardening and environmental club with lots of great ideas and fun characters. It is free to join, hope it can be of help to you.

In May there is a special offer of Free Seeds to New Schools that join. We have members from the age of 2 to 68 from lands end to Mexico.

This is a great site, encouraging everyone to grow as much as they can,  even if they only have a window box they can still grow things.

Please visit us by clicking on my web site link under my name

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:57 by Aunt Sally »

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 19:35 »
Dan the Gardener link:

http://www.danthegardener.co.uk/

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 11:46 »
I think the garden you are talking about could be viewed in the same way as an allotment.  There should be no problem if distancing is observed and tool handles are sanitised after use.

There’s some good advice here from the National Allotment Gardening Association.

Important Advice from the NSALG - frequently updated 
  Covid 19 Emergency Measures

xx
winter tasks

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 00:35
by mushroom
xx
school allotment

Started by nellie.b on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 16:28
by sunshineband
xx
School Allotment

Started by davedrivesamini on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post October 04, 2006, 20:11
by trapper
xx
school plot

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 13:27
by muntjac

Page created in 0.773 seconds with 37 queries.