work on the plot

• 11 Replies

Michael D

• Experienced Member
work on the plot
« on: April 26, 2009, 17:04 »
Hi all     Just finished  6 hrs on the plot,  knacked.    But a lot got done    keeping on top of the weeds.  and planting   a bit.     anyone   else av a go day.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: work on the plot
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 17:08 »
Been doing about 4 hrs a day for the last few weeks. Did the last digging & clearing today. Planting & hoeing from now!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 17:59 »
was working today but managed to get down for an hour at lunch and put in the frame for a cloch of netting for the brassicas  :D
Thanks
Kris

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 18:20 »
Was there from 11.30 to 3.30. Had to go to a committee meeting, then weeded (sheesh theyve come up quickly!) , planted out my onion seeds, earthed up earlies, planted more peas and lettuce, watered lots, had a nosy on naughty peoples plots as there is an inspection soon. Hoed off 3 marigold seeds as I was too busy nagging to my sister to pay proper attention   :blush:

And my bum is sore...for the first time since I was about 10 I rode a bike. Went 2 miles over the canal stretch and forgot that I needed to 'stand up' on the bike over bumpy bits
OUCH!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 21:04 »
A couple down our site got a plat last year. The girl was heavily pregnant so they didnt do much. I noticed today that the couple, plus junior were there from around 11-7:30. I dropped by a different times, but when I went last they were leaving. i commented that they must be knackered, she said they were off home to eat something and then go to bed. I admire them and their plot is really coming on. This stuff is so adictive isnt it?

BIG-Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Bombers

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 21:29 »
And my bum is sore...for the first time since I was about 10 I rode a bike. Went 2 miles over the canal stretch and forgot that I needed to 'stand up' on the bike over bumpy bits
OUCH!
Haha... I took the bike down today, as OH took the car for the weekly shop. Had to earth up the tayters, so wired the rake to the cross bar. Got quite a few funny looks on the way though  ::)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Christine

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 21:35 »
I keep thinking that I'm on top of things down the plot and still find another pile of things that I haven't done despite most of it being planted up.  Well except for things that go out at the end of May (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, marrows, courgettes) and things that shouldn't be planted till next month (swedes, runner beans).

It's a steep learning curve this season - leeks from seed, red cabbage from seed, tomatoes from seed, planted onion seeds to see what happens, peppers and chilli from seed. In fact it's straight up the wall learning curve. But it's interesting.

Pricked out the leeks too early so have had to start again - good thing it's not too late; planted too many cabbage seeds - won't use the whole packet again  :ohmy:

But if you don't try, you don't learn from your mistakes.  :nowink:

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 22:10 »
Planted out p spr brocolli in enviromesh cage, cabbages, caulis, calabrese and romanesco still to go....
hoed onions, watered seedlings, dug up some weeds.
Played tennis all morning so have just had hot bath as I am aching all over (but in a GOOD way)  :happy:
Rachael

Shamps

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 23:44 »
It's a small world!

I was just thinking I would add a reply to this post given the long day we have had on the allotment and as I was reading through them all, I noticed what sounded like a similar story to mine by Big Paddy, I think you might be talking about us there!, heh-heh!  :lol:

Yes many hours solid graft today (for my husband that is  :tongue2:) whilst me and the bambino supervised him  :lol:   :lol: .  We've really enjoyed it today, trying to sort out those crazy brambles, digging up chunky roots and so on, we've all got that lovely really weathered red cheek glow about us!. 

Yabba

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 23:48 »
I keep thinking that I'm on top of things down the plot and still find another pile of things that I haven't done

Due to circumstances I'm currently spending 8+ hours a day there, and still feel the same way :tongue2:

¥

iwantanallotment

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 01:10 »

Pricked out the leeks too early so have had to start again

Why Christine, what's happened to them?

My journal notes for today are dead boring - "Hen & Chickens poppies popped up......Earthed up First Earlies, at top of bags now.....Watered"

Mine is only a small patch though, and I spend hours in it every day, and in the greenhouses etc....but it is so disappointing when you're looking around for jobs!

I can only envy you people with large plots & allotments. The potential you have is awesome - yet so is the work you have.

I have great respect for how many of you tend such vast tracts of land and reap such awesome harvests.

It says only one thing - hard work.

Christine

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 11:34 »
Most of the leeks keeled over and died from stress - saved about 20 which is way too few for our two houses.  Moral of the story is wait till your leek is pencil thick before messing about with it.  ::)

xx
Plot layout,will it work.

Started by BOB3554 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 20:38
by Yorkie
clip
New Plot - weed killer or arm work?

Started by craynerd on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post December 11, 2013, 08:14
by surbie100
xx
Plot Ploughed.Now The Work Begins. *Pics*

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 21:43
by Yabba
xx
Any work done

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 12:11
by lisa80

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 36 queries.