Slug pellets

• 42 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Slug pellets
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 15:44 »
We didn't suffer form slugs last year, which was wet of course.  Could that be because the chickens patrol round the outside of the veg patch (which has chicken wire fence surround, so the chickens (and rabbits) are excluded)

Or should I be buying some slug pellets for this year to "be ready"?

Heavy clay soil, no reasons I can think of that the beds would be unattractive to slugs.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 17:34 »
I had a problem with slugs – then I tried grapefruit and two house bricks. 36 slugs from one grapefruit – it is more time consuming, but works for me. Beer traps are also good, but I prefer to keep the beer.  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 20:48 »
If you are a real dedicated anti-slug gardener this works as an organic slug deterrent:

Wait until it is dark and cool and damp....
Put on a coat and waterproof shoes....
Take a torch and a garden fork or sharp dutch-hoe...

Wander up and down looking for the bu**ers...
When you find one simply bring the fork spikes down on them....

A Dutch hoe is better as you stand more chance of a strike in one and the flat blade is great for hurling them out of harms way where they won't be trod on and stick to your shoes the day after!!

This works well all around our lawn if you keep it up for several nights in a row.... adding a bit of stale white bread to the grass for a few nights before hand fools them into a sense of security.... then....... :wacko:

And.... yes, the neighbours so think I am mad already so why worry? ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 07:02 »
If you are a real dedicated anti-slug gardener this works as an organic slug deterrent:

Wait until it is dark and cool and damp....
Put on a coat and waterproof shoes....
Take a torch and a garden fork or sharp dutch-hoe...

Wander up and down looking for the bu**ers...
When you find one simply bring the fork spikes down on them....

A Dutch hoe is better as you stand more chance of a strike in one and the flat blade is great for hurling them out of harms way where they won't be trod on and stick to your shoes the day after!!

This works well all around our lawn if you keep it up for several nights in a row.... adding a bit of stale white bread to the grass for a few nights before hand fools them into a sense of security.... then....... :wacko:

And.... yes, the neighbours so think I am mad already so why worry? ;)

As many of you know, I wholeheartedly subscribe to this form of slug control ... it brightens up a dull evening  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 07:58 »
Try nemaslug for £8.95 on google shopping. It will kill the slugs you can and can't see for 6 weeks.
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

jmlearoyd

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 08:39 »
I've had some success with coffee grounds from Starbucks, although my mother is convinced it attracts cats!

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 19:39 »
And I stll think a rechargeable torch and a dutch hoe are cheaper and more final!  >:(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 21:59 »
And I stll think a rechargeable torch and a dutch hoe are cheaper and more final!  >:(

You are so right!!!  :D :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 22:21 »
I think you're right too, but my local allotment PCSO's wouldn't be too pleased to have to investigate a torch on the lotty plots in the dark  - I may get on well with them but that's taking it a bit far :D  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 22:26 »
I wonder if it would work with ultra-violet light during daylinght??  :wacko: :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 22:34 »
During the day.....You'll just have to lay some black plastic down and lull them into a false sense of security, then suddenly pull it back and leap apon them while thy're all unsuspecting.
That'll show em who's boss :lol: :tongue2:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 22:40 »
I think you're right too, but my local allotment PCSO's wouldn't be too pleased to have to investigate a torch on the lotty plots in the dark  - I may get on well with them but that's taking it a bit far :D  :lol:

My neighbours around here just think that I have some odd habits (no answer there  :lol: thank you) but I take your point Yorkie ... it could be a bit awkward to explain away tothe local constabulary .. Well you see Hofficer, it was like this .......  :lol: :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 22:41 »
During the day.....You'll just have to lay some black plastic down and lull them into a false sense of security, then suddenly pull it back and leap apon them while thy're all unsuspecting.

Now that sounds like something I would want to work at perfecting....  :D

Lay black-plastic on the ground and w a i t..... I could read a book, listen to the radio, snooze and w a i t.... It could take a couple of hours on a sunny Sunday afternoon at least!!  ;)

"Sorry dear. I can't help as I must trap the slugs on the plot.... See you later."  :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 22:43 »

and im two miles away from my plot..OH wouldnt take it kindly at me wandering up to the plot at stupid o'clock (and I wouldnt either!)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 22:43 »

Now that sounds like something I would want to work at perfecting....  :D

Lay black-plastic on the ground and w a i t..... I could read a book, listen to the radio, snooze and w a i t.... It could take a couple of hours on a sunny Sunday afternoon at least!!  ;)

"Sorry dear. I can't help as I must trap the slugs on the plot.... See you later."  :lol:
A brilliant idea IMHO -- l could go for that  :D :D

xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 16:51
by icbradley
xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 17:42
by fatcat1955
xx
Slug pellets

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 11:18
by Zippy
xx
slug pellets

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 06:56
by misterroy

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 39 queries.