My First Veg Patch Project

• 88 Replies

Trebor

• Experienced Member
Re: My First Veg Patch Project
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2009, 22:01 »
Planting in rows kinda completely defeats the point of Square Foot Gardening.

True it does - if that is what Chris1357 asked for then I missed that point –oops, should read the whole thread.  :ohmy:

I am only suggesting that this small space can be more productive if the four beds reserved for Radish and Lettuce are planted like catch crops, that way you get room for eight brassicas rather than four. Without fixing to a square foot layout I think you will get closer and therfore more effective planting arrangements.

Chris1357 it is your plot so do what works best for you - we can give you opinions but not consensus!

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2009, 15:57 »
Hi all

Well i have sow some of my first seeds on sat and now got my plot covered with some mesh due to the cats wanting to go on it.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2009, 16:03 »
Looks good Chris, they seem to think its a personal big litter tray here  :mad:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2009, 16:22 »
NOT so much with the cats using it to do there business on but one of ours fell sleep on the plot just before i started to sow them.

Not water my plot yet as we have had alot of rain today so its been 2 days without me giving them water.

Chris

Elcie

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2009, 16:47 »
Will be interesting to see how you get on.  I have done something similar in my front garden:

Planted a variety of seeds yesterday and have put plastic over it.  Did you plant all of your squares or do you have any waiting for warmer weather?

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2009, 17:01 »
Hi Elcie,

I love the look of your Sq Ft beds, What timber do you use for them. I planted half of my seeds on sat and will plant the rest in 2 weeks time.

Chris

Will be interesting to see how you get on.  I have done something similar in my front garden:

Planted a variety of seeds yesterday and have put plastic over it.  Did you plant all of your squares or do you have any waiting for warmer weather?

Yabba

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2009, 17:33 »
got my plot covered with some mesh due to the cats wanting to go on it.

My cat would sleep on that :-S

¥

Elcie

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2009, 18:43 »
Hi Elcie,

I love the look of your Sq Ft beds, What timber do you use for them. I planted half of my seeds on sat and will plant the rest in 2 weeks time.

Chris
[/quote]

When I asked the OH he said 'Haven't got a clue'.  Strange sounding timber to me!  It was from Wickes and was about £7 for 5 planks of 6' length.  We doubled up so that the height was twice the size of the width.

I marked out the squares with bamboo and tied with rafia.  Planted all my seeds yesterday but left 4 squares free for some sweetcorn which is in the greenhouse!

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2009, 18:48 »
Hi
I to am new to veg growing and I made the mistake when I made my raised bed of putting far too much manure in. It is very heavy and waterlogged when I dig it. However I have got onions in already and they seem to be growing ( fingers crossed) , I also put some carrots in that I have started off in toilet rolls. I did have to dig out about 10 in and put some garden soil improver in. Not sure if I will get any produce and have decided that next year I am going to dig it all out and put some garden soil and bags of compost in. I am growing some potatoes in another area and hopefully they will improve the soil.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2009, 17:02 »
Hi
I to am new to veg growing and I made the mistake when I made my raised bed of putting far too much manure in. It is very heavy and waterlogged when I dig it. However I have got onions in already and they seem to be growing ( fingers crossed) , I also put some carrots in that I have started off in toilet rolls. I did have to dig out about 10 in and put some garden soil improver in. Not sure if I will get any produce and have decided that next year I am going to dig it all out and put some garden soil and bags of compost in. I am growing some potatoes in another area and hopefully they will improve the soil.

if the manure was added this year, you'll get forked carrots - I don't think it hurts you, but they'll be a  lot harder to peel.....

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2009, 13:08 »
Well after 1 week after sowing the seeds i have now started to see some very small items show up above the soil :-)

Chris

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2009, 17:45 »
Pics from the Sq Ft Garden today.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2009, 17:55 »
And just how excited are you  :D ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Yabba

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2009, 18:15 »
And the other 10 squares? c'mon, get with the program, you should know by now that we all like pictures :D

I'm really interested to see how your space works out at the end of the year .... so get into the habit of loads of pictures huh? ;)

¥

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2009, 18:46 »
Not much else has come up at the minute so i will take some images next weekend

Chris

xx
new project

Started by Iain j on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 20:05
by Iain j
xx
A new project/hobby

Started by Tammie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2006, 16:25
by Ian_P
xx
container query and project

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 20:03
by Notty1975
xx
The growing project for 2012 is...

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 21:53
by Judd

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 36 queries.