My First Veg Patch Project

• 88 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: My First Veg Patch Project
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 19:46 »
I would definitely put spuds in a pot as they take up so much room with earthing up and all.  At this time in April I'd probably aim for earlies rather than maincrop - take less time till harvest and can be smaller too.

BJRD, good idea re the beans on netting, although I think the plant bushes are to be retained and therefore are a little in the way.

Courgettes when fully grown take up about 1 m square so again will take up a disproportionate amount of space in your bed.

Brassicas need firm soil so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them in pots - but again they need quite a lot of spacing between plants.

Basically, peapod's post is very helpful.  I'd probably personally prioritise what i wanted to grow, aim to squash as much small stuff into the garden and put bigger things in pots.  I do think you want to grow far too much for the space available, but nothing ventured.

The alternative is, as Elcie has suggested, is to cram as much as you can into pots.

There isn't one way to do this.  You might find it useful to get hold of Dr Hessayon's book as that contains recommended spacings for all veg, and work out how much you want to grow of what, and how much space it would take up if planted in your garden as opposed to pots.

Also, (if not previously recommended on this thread), google square foot gardening and see how you can fit lots into a small space.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 19:47 by Yorkie1 »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 20:30 »
I would look at the geography of your plot, you have a wall at the back and a cliff at the front. You have a small area so need to maximise your use of the ground.

I would consider a row of french beans at the back wall then a mix of veg in the middle and any pots you can, then consider some Tomatoes in the front, look for a variety that can cascade down the wall, I have some for hanging baskets (But don't know the name).

Bob
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 20:38 by Eatyourgreens »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 20:36 »
That's a good plan, EYG - you might find one of the tumbling varieties is called Tumbler (but there are more!)

Bombers

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 21:10 »
Fopr what it's worth,If it were mine Chris, I would grow Runner Beans up the back fence, and then your Cucumbers,caulis,carrots,Beetroot in the bed. I would grow Cut 'n come again lettuce in trays, together with radishes, and I'd possibly squeeze in a couple of hanging baskets with 'tumbling toms' in either side of the beans.If there's any space left (I Doubt it!  ::)) Then shove some strawberries in. 8) :) If you want some tatters, what about those potato planter bags?
I'd forget stuff like cabbages/Broccoli/parsnips until you can aquire a bit more space TBH.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 21:17 »
Hi,

I like your idea veyr much, I have some other places around the garden next to the fence for the beans so that might be goodin the pots.

Chris

Fopr what it's worth,If it were mine Chris, I would grow Runner Beans up the back fence, and then your Cucumbers,caulis,carrots,Beetroot in the bed. I would grow Cut 'n come again lettuce in trays, together with radishes, and I'd possibly squeeze in a couple of hanging baskets with 'tumbling toms' in either side of the beans.If there's any space left (I Doubt it!  ::)) Then shove some strawberries in. 8) :) If you want some tatters, what about those potato planter bags?
I'd forget stuff like cabbages/Broccoli/parsnips until you can aquire a bit more space TBH.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 21:27 »
It also depends on what quantity you want, or is it a little bit of everything seasonal? Ive got a lotty but have built a raised bed at home (4ft x 8ft) just for carrots and some snips (very stony plot plus less chance of the carrot fly). Carrots are very easy to grow in containers, but I was getting overrun with pots! I do lettuce and beetroot in pots too.
Basically, Id grow dwarf french along the top in two rows in front of the bushes (love DF and surprisingly productive).  Id put two posts on the end corners and have two large hanging baskets for hundreds and millions toms. The rest of the bed would be beetroot and radish, and  possibly a cucumber (dpending on shade). I would then use the space when finished for spring cabbages and cauli started later this year
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 21:30 »
I would then use the space when finished for spring cabbages and cauli started later this year
Hey, I am LIKINg that idea!.. Good thinking. ;)

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 21:56 »
I just want the weather to go away now and start getting the plot ready, Non stop rain here most the day :-(

I am liking all the ideas so far and its putting some confidence into me.

With regards to someone question about how much shade that area gets well as you are looking at the image that is looking West, We dont have much in the way from the sun apart from early morning and very late in the afternoon.

Chris

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 22:07 »
Just done a search for square foot plots, Found this which looks a good guide.

http://organicgarden.org.uk/?page_id=1648

Chris

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 23:49 »
I am now thinking of raising the sides of my area by about 4" using a wooden frame for the raised bed. What make or brand of timber would people suggest i use. I have seen on the B&Q website that they sell Sawn Kiln Dried Timber but was not sure if this will be ok to use with the plot or not. Does not say anything about treament to it.

Have seen this on B&Q website
sawn kiln dried timber

Would it also be ok to leave the wood untreated
Chris

Edit for long link
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 23:58 by peapod »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 23:59 »
I would email them to see if they have been treated with anything and so are suitable for raised beds Chris

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 09:00 »
As said at the start of this thread, your bed is already raised inside the brickwork, so no need to add to it, but the idea for the square foot plot can be transferred to your existing soil area, all it is is a way of planting a lot in a small area. Why spend and make a lot of extra work for yourself for no or little advantage.

I would strip off the grass, dig your ground and look for it's depth (As in the builders rubble) then if needed, do a bit of soil improvement, and get planting.

If you raise the bed you have two potential problems. On the side of the drop you will have complications of holding back the soil, and secondly if the area is already free draining (It is a raised bed) you will be pouring gallons of water on to it daily just to keep the plants alive.

Bob

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 14:37 »
hi Chris:
have you looked at this thread on square foot gardening?

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=35291.0

it looks just your thing!

I'm sure that riala will be happy to discuss it with you!  :)

elibump

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 14:55 »
Just a thought, could you move your family heirloom bushes to somewhere else in the garden so freeing up a tiddly bit more space?  Don't know if its feasible or even when is the right time to do it but it may help a bit.  Also, as others have suggested, what about container growing on the patio or even on the wall?

Good luck.

Carolyn xx :) ;)
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 15:20 »
Well i have been given the OK to move them bushes that are allready there. so am doing the digging once this rain stops in the a day or so
chris

xx
new project

Started by Iain j on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 20:05
by Iain j
xx
A new project/hobby

Started by Tammie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2006, 16:25
by Ian_P
xx
Allotment Pond Project

Started by gardgydja on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 17:42
by upert
xx
Progress on project Ginger!

Started by peanut on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 14:41
by peanut

Page created in 0.726 seconds with 37 queries.