My First Veg Patch Project

• 88 Replies

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
My First Veg Patch Project
« on: April 25, 2009, 23:33 »
Hi all,

Well i have now decided to build a raised bed as my first garden project ever. I only have an area of about 6ft x 6ft to start with and at the minute has grass over which i will be removing next week. I will be then building a frame around this area and build the soil up with sharpe sand , top soil and composs from B&Q. Can anyone recommend which composs to get as i dont have a clue. I am also doing this on a tight budget due to being out of work at the minute.

Also how long after adding all the above can i start planting and am i best to start some seeds off in pots inside the house first or buy them as plants.

Also regarding the raised bed timber frame should i use non treated wood so it does not cause any problems with the soil

The place i am looking to do all this is located just above the bench in the image below.

Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 17:24 by chrisb1357 »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: My First Veg Patch Project
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 23:38 »
Treated timber will last far longer, I think most treatments are ok or if tanalised ditto though I'm not sure.

You can get going as soon as the bed is ready.

Seeds or plants - depends what you want to grow, things like courgettes (which actually take a lot of space) beans, squash, sweetcorn etc are frost tender and I haven't sown seeds yet.  So you could start them off now at home.  Stuff which is frost hardy could go out now and therefore plants may be better.

I would query, given the tight budget, whether a raised bed is strictly necessary.  Many people grow stuff successfully without the extra expense of setting up raised beds.  In some situations they are necessary but in others it's down to personal preference only.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 23:39 »
If you are on a budget, just build the frame and then deep dig the bed burying the grass upside down as deep as you can, you can plant in this slightly raised / No tread bed that will rise up as you plant and add compost over time.

You could be better off going for 6 by 4 as this will make it easier getting to stuff planted in the middle, although at a big loss of area for you.

When I had typed the above I hadn't seen the picture, no need for a raised bed, it's already raised and I would guess well drained, just clear off the grass and get digging.

Bob

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 23:41 by Eatyourgreens »

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 23:46 »
Would it be ok to leave the 2 small buses to the right of the raised bed next to the fence in or would it be best to remove this out.

Would you still advise on mixing in sharpe sand, topsoil and composs with the soil allready in there.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 23:54 »
It would depend on the soil that's already there, take the grass off and take a look at it, if it's clay then adding sand would be a good idea to help drainage, but it could be OK and not need it, most soil can be improved by the addition of some compost, but by that I would mean home made compost, not the bought stuff. You have a physical restriction in that your soil level is already at the top of the bed so you would need to remove some soil to add compost.

Get the grass off and have a look, try digging down to see how deep it is or if it has rubble infill.

It's up to you about the bushes, they will take up some space and the roots could be a pain, but also add a bit of colour, partly depends on what they are and how much you like them.

Bob

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 23:54 »
Well, I'd remove a bus as it'll drive all over your new seedlings  :lol: :lol:  :tongue2:

As for the bushes  :tongue2:  :D , they are taking up valuable space but if you are attached to them, and their roots do not extend too far into the bed (removing water, nutrients, may get damaged by veg cultivation) then by all means keep them there.

Once you get your turf up I'd have a look at the condition of the underlying soil.  Unless it's really poor, solid clay for example, or so sandy as to run through your hands, i wouldn't bother either with sharp sand or topsoil.  

Fertiliser e.g. growmore or fish / blood / bone (do the same thing but the latter is organic) would be a good idea to add as a general purpose fertiliser.  I'd also think about adding some organic matter at some point, such as a very small amount of manure which you can buy bagged.

However, beware of adding too much additional bulk or your soil will fall out over the edge, particularly when it rains.

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 00:00 »
OK i think i will remove the soil first and take a look. My local gov office is offering a Ecomax Compost Bin 220 Litre for £17 inc P&P so was thinking of getting one of these also to start to make my own composs. I dont think i can remove the bushes as they are a family thing which have been pass down.

Chris

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 00:06 »
Good idea re the compost bin.

If the plants are family heirlooms then it's best to keep them  :)

Just try to grow more shallow rooted veg near them, as that will cause less root disturbance to them when the veg is being harvested.  E.g. salad leaves, dwarf beans (you don't lift the roots of beans, they get left behind to add nitrogen to the soil at the end of the season. 

I'd also make sure that the plants aren't too shaded by anything too tall, as that will make them unhappy anyway  :(

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 00:07 »
You may need to trim the roots a bit if you plant close to them, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Well worth composting  :)

As to your seedlings etc, it depends on what you want to grow, but its more satisfying and normally cheaper to start from seed rather than buy, but again don't worry about it. It is not too late for "Most" plants to start from seed but don't wait too long before starting.

With such a small area you really want to think about what YOU want to grow and eat. Can you add a bit of extra ground by using containers for maybe a courgette or a bean crop?

Bob

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 00:15 »
Many thanks to everysone so far who has given me some advice on how to do all this. Its very new so its nice that other help :-)

Chris

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 17:12 »
Well i have put a list together on what we all eat in the house and the list is below. I have also been given the go ahead to dig that area up on the photo so i will dig down a fair bit then put all the grass in that i will remove and then the soil ontop and mix in some peatfree composs and take a PH level test after a few days (Thats if i am correct).

Veg We Like:
Potatoes
Carrots
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Parsnips
Beatroot
Lettuce
Radish
Tomatoes
Beans
Cucumber
Strawberry's

I am not sure how easy all of the above are to grow or where to start from now but enjoying the good company on here from everyone.

Any help or adivce will be great

Chris
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 17:47 by chrisb1357 »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 18:21 »
Veg We Like:
Potatoes - will not get a large amount for the space
Carrots - will get plenty in that space, and nice and high toa void the carrot fly
Broccoli - will get about 10
Cauliflower - will get about 8
Cabbage - depends on the variety but about 8-10
Parsnips - same as carrots but a few less
Beatroot -will get loads in there
Lettuce - great site for them can keep sowing or use cut and come again varieites
Radish - again, lots of room
Tomatoes - as long as it gets lots of sun
Beans - will be very productive for french beans
Cucumber - dont grow them myself so unsure
Strawberry's - lots of plants will fit and throw out runners,but will defiantely need to be netted from birds
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Elcie

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 18:28 »
It looks like a great plan but to be honest 6x6 is not very big and you will not grow all of that in the space availalbe.  Have you considered growing some things in pots on the patio too?  I grow potatoes, salad leaves, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, cucumber and dwarf bean varieties this way.

Space is your  biggest issue at the moment.  Perhaps you could grow the brassica in this space and some of the others in pots?

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 18:51 »
Yep i aggree also that space is going to be a problem. I might be able to get some pots if i can find some cheap someware. I was thinking of an allotment but i think that will be to much for a newbie like me. What would you advise me to grow in the plot in the garden and what to grow in a pot.

Chris

BJRD

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 19:12 »
I'm new too so this may be a terrible idea, am sure someone will put me right if it is.

Could you attached a some netting to the fence and grows some beans up that.  Maybe planted in pots on the patio.

xx
new project

Started by Iain j on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 20:05
by Iain j
xx
A new project/hobby

Started by Tammie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2006, 16:25
by Ian_P
xx
container query and project

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 20:03
by Notty1975
xx
The growing project for 2012 is...

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 21:53
by Judd

Page created in 1.108 seconds with 36 queries.