Yippee - peppers!

• 26 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Yippee - peppers!
« on: April 25, 2009, 16:59 »
Yaay - my peppers have got teeny tiny flower buds on them
any advice what to do next?  :D :happy: :)  ;)

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
Re: Yippee - peppers!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 17:09 »
Mine too.  I noticed them this morning. It's so exciting.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 17:18 »
as soon as you can see the fruits growing through the flowers, feed them with tomato food - just follow the instructions on the bottle!

(I've got fruits growing already because I sowed mine in a warm room in the winter!  :tongue2: )

iwantanallotment

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 17:44 »
Mine are an inch high with 2 skinny leaves - think I left them a bit late  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 17:50 »

I have some like that ::) but the other varieties, sown only 2 weeks earlier are doing just fine. I think that some must just be slower or perhaps fussier about conditions than others >:(

ben

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 18:07 »
My peppers didn't germinate, so I've sold out and have gone down the garden centre and bought some young plants :)

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 18:41 »

Mine are the same.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 20:41 »
Mine have all the ideal conditions as specified on the growing instructions and are taking their time. They'll either catch up or they won't. They took ages to germinate. 

Angelah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 20:55 »
Mine are tiny ones with only two leaves on too. Planted them ages ago and had given up on them, then they started to appear a week or so ago - is it worth continuing with them? Or should I buy in some bigger plants?

paintedlady

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 21:04 »
Mine are tiny ones with only two leaves on too. Planted them ages ago and had given up on them, then they started to appear a week or so ago - is it worth continuing with them? Or should I buy in some bigger plants?

Well, I suppose you could do both  ;)  Last year my chillies & peppers were sowed late and I still got a fairly good crop but unfortunately, because I had them outdoor, the cool summer meant many never ripened before the first frosts.  If you have to pick them and they are still green, keep the fruits in a warm room and they'll ripen up on their own (I then chopped all mine up for the freezer to pop into soups & stews)

If you have them in a greenhouse, they'll soon pick up
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 21:38 »
Thanks all for your advice - as they're indoors do i need to get jiggy with a paint brush in place of the bees ?  :lol:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 09:17 »
Thanks all for your advice - as they're indoors do i need to get jiggy with a paint brush in place of the bees ?  :lol:

bumping this up - do the flowers need pollinating - they're on the kitchen windowsill at the mo and greenhouse & cold frame full of peas/toms/chillis & flowers waiting to go out!
I could put peppers out on a sunny day when the flowers open but wuld rather use a paintbrush as there are quite a lot of plants!

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 09:42 »
The year before last I had some no fruit setting onmy chillies that were indoors. As soon as I started with a paint burush I had a massive bounty. Could have been coincidence but it worked for me!

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 11:03 »

bumping this up - do the flowers need pollinating - they're on the kitchen windowsill at the mo and greenhouse & cold frame full of peas/toms/chillis & flowers waiting to go out!
I could put peppers out on a sunny day when the flowers open but wuld rather use a paintbrush as there are quite a lot of plants!

Providing it's not a F1 varietyIf you use the paint brush, thus pollinating them yourself, mark the fruit 
so you can tell at a later date which fruit it was and then when you come to use the fruit you can save the seed for next year.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 13:16 »
My (overwintered) Anaheim chilli seems to set fruit without any pollination, unless I've got some very sneaky flies on my kitchen windowsill.  I should think it depends on the variety.

xx
yippee !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 09:02
by Yana
xx
Yippee!

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 00:36
by viettaclark
xx
Yippee

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 19:51
by sawnee
xx
yippee.....got an allotment!

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 20:33
by dougsta

Page created in 0.662 seconds with 38 queries.