First time growing tomatoes

• 10 Replies

Realepicurean

First time growing tomatoes
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:12 »
Hi all,
I'm attempting to grow my own tomatoes for the first time this year.  I bought the plants a couple of months ago and they're all in the conservatory in pots and seem to be doing well (3 foot high or so) and have began to flower.

I have 2*Gardeners Delight, 1* Sungold and 1* Sparta varieties.

I have a few questions though:

1. Up to now I haven't fed them.  How often do I need to apply feed, and from when?

2. I haven't removed any "sideshoots" yet.  I know what these are from reading elsewhere on this forum, but do I remove all sideshoots from all my varieties?

3. Some leaves have been touching the conservatory windows (they were on the window sill).  These leaves have gone whitish and dry looking, do I need to remove them?

4. Is there anything else I don't know about?

Any help is appreciated.  I'd really love to have some great toms to eat this year!

SG6

Re: First time growing tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 13:53 »
I ani't much good with toms but here goes:

They all seem to be upright varieties so yes nip out the side shoots.

At 3 ft high I would hope thay are in good sized pots, feed is often for the fruits and will cause green growth. But having said that they are a good size and possibly need some feeding - how about a feed at half strength. I am thinking about them being in pots as the available nutrients is limited.

If leaves are dead/dry then remove, they are doing no good.

To get fruit they need to be pollinated. This will not happen in the conservatory. So they need to be outside where insects can do the pollination.

If they get dry then watered the fruit can split, so don't allow them to dry out.

How big are the pots and do you intend to plant them outside in the ground?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 13:57 »
Tomatoes are self fertile and will be ok inside. Once the flowers open tap the canes a few times a day to release the pollen...no problem.

An industrious tomato grower from Texas writes:

"I have several different kinds of tomatoes. Right now I have little "hoods" of the breathable row cover type fabric on each cage to guard against violent winds, hail and cold. Will the flowers pollinate to become fruit inside this hood? Should I remove the covers or will they pollinate themselves?"

Great job protecting your tomato plants from the elements! Fortunately tomatoes can pollinate just by wind/motion, so removing the hoods is not necessary. All you need to do is reach in and gently shake the plants every once and a while, as this will do the same thing as the wind and pollinate the flowers.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 14:03 by mumofstig »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 14:04 »
Start feeding when the fruits set, if you use something like Tomorite, or generic, instructions will be on the bottle.

All these varieties are "indeterminate", so they need the side shoots taking out.

They do not need to be outside, otherwise you could not grow them in greenhouses! As stated, tap the canes to aid pollination.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 14:18 »
They will need good support as the bunches of toms get really heavy, if keeping them in your conservatory I guess strong canes and a bit of twine will do the job.  I grew gardeners delight last summer and had loads of toms off them, BTW I'm quite envious mine are still only 3 inches high in the greenhouse as been waiting for the cold nights to warm up before sewing

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 17:19 »
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I have never grown toms either so the posts are very helpful.  I have just bought some cheap as chips tom plants, gardener's delight & money maker (which dimwit that I am I have mixed up & now don't know which are which  :blush:)  They are about 6 inches tall & are only in little pots so they need to be potted on, should I stick them straight into big pots?  If so what size & how many to a pot? 

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 17:39 »
Mine go from 3" pots, straight into 12" pots. or thereabouts.

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 19:27 »
One plant per pot?  Sorry if that sounds dense

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 19:43 »
Sorry, yes.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 19:46 »
One per pot. They do grow quite large and would be cramped otherwise. My dad always puts about 3" compost in the bottom of the pot and then puts the plant in and half fills it. As the plants grow he tops the pots up and roots grow out of the stem. Make sure that the pots have drainage holes if you are using buckets instead of plant pots. Hope you get loads of lovely fresh tomatoes!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 14:32 »
"I have mixed up & now don't know which are which"

Both Gardeners Delight and Moneymaker need the same amount of space - about 18" to 24" between then pots.

Gardeners Delight is a cherry type, so will have smaller fruit (and probably a many more per truss), Moneymaker has standard sized fruit (rather than huge fruit like Beefsteak varieties), so once they fruit you will be able to see which-is-which.

xx
first time tomatoes.

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 14:23
by hamstergbert
xx
whens the best time to plant tomatoes out

Started by greentoes on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 17:47
by New shoot
xx
Night time temp for tomatoes?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 15:56
by JayG
xx
Planting tomatoes outdoors for the first time

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 18:51
by Spr0ut

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 38 queries.