Catching my hens

• 5 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Catching my hens
« on: March 28, 2007, 17:45 »
OK newbie here again.  I have a mum and chicks who I put out in a run during the day weather permitting.  She pecks me to bits when I put her away as I can't carry her and the chicks is there a less stressful way for her.  I tried putting a box in but she wouldn't oblige by getting in it!!

I have a large hen house which I am having refurbished and intend having a run attached with a wire top to stop foxes climbing on the house and jumping in.  I have also asked OH to sink wire into the ground to stop burrowing of said foxes ( we live next to a railway line, told they frequently live close to these)  How long before I can let them roam outside the run. How will I go about getting them in at night, I have a fear that the first time I let them roam my garden I will never get them in again, we have 2 acres so plenty of room to get away.

thanks

karenn

Catching my hens
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 19:52 »
we live fairly near to a railway line, and we are having MAJOR problems with foxes, we have seen three different ones, and one of them has cubs, so yes be very carefull.  If you are struggling to get them in at night just throw some corn into the place they are sleeping in, they will be in there like a shot, once they get used to where they are sleeping at night, you will find they will put themselves to bed.
"When counting, try not to mix chickens with blessings."

muntjac

Catching my hens
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 20:09 »
answer this ..... if someone grabbed your kids would you follow them?. later when the birds are adult they will go to roost on thier own when the light fades. if your in a fox area there is no way you can have free range birds unless you... kill the foxes ... or make it impossible for them to get at the chucks .. 6 ft fencing all around the property. wire dug in under the fence to about 3 ft . no trees or other rubbish  up against the fencing so the fox can hide or dig a hole unseen.. definatly no overhanging branches that the fox can use to get in or out .
still alive /............

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Catching my hens
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 21:56 »
I find it easier to catch my birds when it is dusk or dark.  I find where they have roosted and just pick them up without any resistance.  I have a cockerel who is fast at the  moment, so I don't chase him any more!

mercury

Catching my hens
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 13:07 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
answer this ..... if someone grabbed your kids would you follow them?. later when the birds are adult they will go to roost on thier own when the light fades. if your in a fox area there is no way you can have free range birds unless you... kill the foxes ... or make it impossible for them to get at the chucks .. 6 ft fencing all around the property. wire dug in under the fence to about 3 ft . no trees or other rubbish  up against the fencing so the fox can hide or dig a hole unseen.. definatly no overhanging branches that the fox can use to get in or out .

Slowef, what munty meens is, take the chicks, and mum will follow :)  :wink:

margot

Catching my hens
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 19:24 »
Hi  I was just reading the messages about foxes , we were worried about them near our 6 girls ( x-battery hens ) ]as we live in ithe middle of a farm .Our neighbour is the game keeper and has given us a few tips , wee around the boundry of the chicken run and house , my 4 year old boy takes great pleasure of telling everyone this , or use wd-40 and make the run fence high but not tight  so the foxes can not climb it.   :)  :
h stearn

xx
It's catching!

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 11:03
by Wildeone
question
catching chickens

Started by peter o on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 23:44
by wildwitchy
xx
catching the egg laying???

Started by timtheenchanteruk on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 22:06
by bantam novice
xx
help with catching an injured duck

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 14:07
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 36 queries.