Different types of tomatoes in a greenhouse

• 20 Replies

Sal1610

Different types of tomatoes in a greenhouse
« on: April 24, 2009, 21:48 »
I'm getting my first greenhouse soon (v excited!) and am planning to grow Moneymaker, Gardener's Delight, and Roma in there. Plus, a friend has given me some spares of a couple of different sorts. My question, is, would there be a problem in growing several differnt types of tomatoes in a relatively small confined space? Will pollination get muddled up? (You can tell I'm not really a scientist...)

Thanks for any advice about growing toms in a greenhouse, I'm not new to toms but I am new to greenhouses :)

Sal

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
Re: Different types of tomatoes in a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 21:51 »
Would only be a potential problem if you were wanting to keep the seed.

If one type of tom fertilised another, the tom that grew would be the type it should be on that plant, but any resulting offspring from the seeds could be a hybrid.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Sal1610

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 21:57 »
Thanks Bob! That was what I thought (dredging up my O level biology lessons from years ago) so its great to have that confirmed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 21:57 »
 AS your mixing them up you won't be able to save seed, but this year's fruit will not be effected.
Plant them deeper, up to their first set of leaves, on planting out. If they are going direct into the border, rather than pots -sink a bottle with the end cut off next to each plant so you can water deeply to the roots, as long as you leave (thinks) about 18in -24in between them they'll be fine.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 22:03 »
On the other hand, I've always grown up to 21 different varieties of tomatoes in the polytunnel at the same time, and the only saved seed tht didn't grow true were the Floridity, and they are F1 hybrids, so was expected, but they just looked like floridity only bigger, which was okay by me!  they still tasted lovely!!!! :D

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 22:28 »
Glad to have jogged the grey cells for you  :D

I am growing "blooming Butcher", "Alaskan Fancy" and some smaller ones that I cannot remember the name of for hanging baskets (May well put them in conservatory) along with some Aubergines, Capsicums and anything else I can fit in my greenhouse.

Already been eating perpetual spinach all this winter out of ours and next year I intend eating home grown lettuce all year round or as long as I can (Plus more Spinach)

Hope you enjoy yours

Bob

Sal1610

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 22:34 »
Mum, thanks for the planting hints

Grannie, that's interesting, I don't usually save seed (always intend to but then forget)

Bob, you can get spinach all year round in a greenhouse? Cool! It's already looking like a good investment and I haven't even got it yet :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 22:37 »
Mum, thanks for the planting hints

Grannie, that's interesting, I don't usually save seed (always intend to but then forget)

Bob, you can get spinach all year round in a greenhouse? Cool! It's already looking like a good investment and I haven't even got it yet :)

HA HA HA you've got your mum
and your grannie
.......and bob your uncle all in 1 post ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 22:42 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:oh Mum that was funny you are on the ball tonight!!!  uncle bobby ball???? lol oh now I'm at it!!!!

Yes Sal you must try saving your seeds, just think of all the seeds you get in just one tomato!!!!  You can just wash them and dry on kitchen towel, but the 'roper' way to do it, is put the seeds with the coating attached into a jar with some warm water, shake it every so often for about 3 days and it will just start to ferment.  tip it all into a small sieve and wash and the coating will come off.  dry the seeds on kitchen towel thoroughly, then store,  i have some little paper bags I keep mine in.

Sal1610

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 23:00 »
hehe a mum and a grannie and an uncle, all in the tomato growing family, that's cool!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 23:10 »
hehe a mum and a grannie and an uncle, all in the tomato growing family, that's cool!

We do like to keep things "in the family" on here. ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

peterjf

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 23:21 »
our greenhouses 8 x 6 (3) have tango , tigerella, harbinger, money maker, sunshine yellow, alicante, we also have 2 telegraph cucumber plants in each corner at far end away from the doors , each greenhouse has 2 pots of african marigolds as companion plants nearest the door

iwantanallotment

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 02:07 »
I'm frightened to count mine, gone OTT again  :(

Charlie made an excellent post recently on another thread re cross-pollination - ie the crop you're growing, it won't affect the crop unless the crop to be eaten are the SEEDS - ie sweetcorn. Only seeds are affected by it.

So I expect peas are another. But some crops don't readily cross-pollinate anyway, depends.

Cross pollination only affects seeds - so you couldn't save seed from things growing close together, they wouldn't be "true" but a mix. DD has a fab pic of summat he grew from some cross-pollinated squashes.
I'm sorry, can't find it at the mo - but it's a great example of what can happen  :D
Where's Charlie...........

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 06:23 »
My "marrowkin"

This is more likely to happen in things with big flowers where the bees & insects flit from one to another.

Far less likely in self - fertile small flowers like peas & toms, where a bit of breeze is all you need, (this is why you should regularly tap the canes of tomatoes).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 10:17 »

Yes Sal you must try saving your seeds, just think of all the seeds you get in just one tomato!!!!  You can just wash them and dry on kitchen towel

About 40 years ago, my dad brought home an amazing sight, a yellow Tomato, we had never seen such a thing, we compared it to a green one, a slightly orange one (Going red) and yes it was yellow. We couldn't bring ourselves to eat this miracle.

We kept the seeds (Paper towel method) and a year later a humble 12ft wide concrete Battersea backyard (Can't call it garden) was where I started my gardening life.

Bob

PS The resulting crop from next year were obviously of mixed parentage ;)

xx
types of cordon cherry tomatoes

Started by ruralbob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 22:35
by mumofstig
xx
tomatoes in the greenhouse

Started by gardening robbo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 15:28
by Sadgit
xx
Help on tomatoes in greenhouse please

Started by simpson-allen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 19:12
by mumofstig
xx
Greenhouse Tomatoes

Started by sueanthony on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 09:51
by sueanthony

Page created in 0.792 seconds with 38 queries.