Worried about our eggs

• 11 Replies

chickencharly

Worried about our eggs
« on: April 24, 2009, 21:13 »
Evening all

New to this forum so bear with me!!

Got our chickens just over 3 weeks ago now - ex battery hens.

They all seem to have settled in well.

However for the past few days a couple of our chickens seem to have been very quiet, and spent a lot of time sitting in one of the nest boxes.  We are also getting misshaped eggs fairly regularly - and one we had today is really weird! Has got a big rough patch on one end, and crinkles and bumps on it.  What does this mean??  Have read on a couple of websites about some sort of bronchitis - think it was referred to as IB - do you think my birds have it? 

Bit worried!!

Look forward to hearing from you!!

raeburg

Re: Worried about our eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 21:17 »
IB is a nasty Infectious Bronchitis.  Do they have any cold type of symptoms?

chickencharly

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 21:19 »
Not that I can tell - but I am new to this!!

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 21:20 »
Hi chickencharly and welcome the the forum!
I have moved you to the henhouse which is the board where questions about our poultry health and wellbeing are posted. We tend to use Chicken Chat for a good old natter and to share piccies :)

Now in answer to your question, strange, crinkly eggs is not unusual for exbatts, so dont worry! IB is infectious bronchitis which they probably being commercial birds would have been vaccinated against. Good idea to make sure plenty of oyster shell is available as their calcium levels may be low from their prolific laying in the cages. Hope this helps!

raeburg

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 21:23 »
Good answer Foxy!  I still get the odd wonky egg from the ex-bats.  I guess there's been a lot of strain on their egg laying system with all that regulated day length etc in commercial batteries

chickencharly

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 21:25 »
Thank you for that!!  Was getting a bit worried about that!!

Whats with them just laying in their nest boxes for ages then?  We seem to have a couple that keep doing it for a couple of days at a time?  They come out for food and water but then go back in.

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 21:32 »
Increased and prolonged visits to the nestbox mean one two things usually 1. Broodiness, unusual in commercial laying birds as the maternal instinct has been bred out but does happen. This is characterized by puffing up and squarking when you go near them, a very warm and bald breast. 2. Laying problems - usually trying to pass a soft shelled egg which is difficult and takes a lot out of them physically. Check when they last laid, also is the tail down, have a feel of the abdomen gently does it feel like there is an egg in there?

raeburg

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 21:34 »
Have they got plenty of grit and oyster shell available for calcium?  Another thing to put in their food is limestone flour (available from horse feed shop) which provides some extra calcium.

chickencharly

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 21:37 »
Nearly all of the chickens have got bald breasts - we thought it was from being kept in their cages before we had them?

So if we do feel the abdomen, and it feels like there is an egg there - what do you do then?

chickencharly

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 21:38 »
yes they have got grit - but its in a separate feeder - think may have to mix in with their pellets and crumbs.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 21:48 »
The reason supermarkets insist on commercial farmers getting rid of their laying hens at 72-80 weeks is precisely for tht reason reason Chickencharly, they think us customers don't want our eggs to be at all misshapen, or wrinkled or differing in colour.  they think we all want them the same size, weight and colour.

The oher thing you will notice with your girls being a bit older is tht the egg whites will get more watery too, but don't worry about it, it's just the way things are.  Still lovely eggs though!!!   :D :D

chickencharly

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 21:52 »
Thanks for all the advice Guys!!

This forum is going to be a regular haunt of mine I think!!!

xx
Advice on eggs please - Very Worried !!!

Started by francais on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 09:57
by francais
xx
Rennie Update- still worried- still soft eggs- calcium tablets where?

Started by shiatsusu on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 17:52
by shiatsusu
xx
Ok, i am really worried now!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:46
by bedifferent
xx
I'm still worried

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:54
by kimT

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.