What's this

• 8 Replies

Remy

• Experienced Member
What's this
« on: April 24, 2009, 20:28 »
Hi,
 Been weeding today & found that I've got a lot of these in my plot. Can anyone enlight me as what they are?
what's this (480 x 360).jpg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: What's this
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 20:30 »
Piccie's a bit small, but looks a lot like the dreaded bindweed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 20:34 »
it does to me too  :( KILL IT!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

gawk

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 20:43 »
Hmm, yes it does look like bindweed, kill it and kill it again, then again ....
It's all too much!

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 20:44 »
Yep from me too. :(

I've just spent the dying moments of daylight digging some from my borders. ::)

If you dig your fork in and turn the soil, you should see a load of pure white root fragments about 2-5mm thick. Each one of these is capable of shooting and making a new plant which will grow into a wiry winding climber that grows a mile every day and entwines round everything.

Other than that, they're not a problem. You'll find dozens of them sprouting every day but if you're keen with a hoe, you can keep it under control and dig out every scrap you can find when you next dig.

Rob 8)

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 20:50 »
Defintely bindweed.  The purple stem and the white root stalk are a dead giveaway.  Leave it for a day and it will open it's leaves.   You will have to keep nipping it off unless you get the whole root out without breaking. 

It's the bane of my life at the moment.  I thought I did fairly good job of clearing my plot until these started to pop up.  Unless you take out the whle root it will keep coming back.

Patience is a virtue.  I'm sure it will all come out one day!!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 20:53 by Jay The Digger »

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 20:52 »
Thanks all, I thought it might be but wasn't entirely sure. Looks like I got a nice little war on my hands as it's everywhere on my bit & the neighbours one.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 20:55 »
my marestail (not bindweed,though I have that too but bear with me on this) has just started popping its head through. While digging the other day I found a piece of broken off stem under the soil that was about 3 inches in length at most . It had at least 8 shoots coming off it!! It shows how well these weeds can recuperate!

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 23:23 »
i had this in my garden ive got rid of most of it now.the technique i used was on hands and knees with a hand fork.gently loosen the soil round the plant and follow the root.u can with care pull the whole thing out.i found it quite theraputic.it will come back after u have done this but there will be alot less of it and never as much as the first time u cleared it.

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 29 queries.