Green manure

• 5 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
Green manure
« on: April 24, 2009, 19:30 »
I have some runner bean seeds which I found in the shed (don't like runner beans :tongue2:)  have no idea how long they've been there, plus a load of red kidney beans in the kitchen cupboard (don't like them much either tbh) & I'm wondering if they're actually viable, whether they could be used as a green manure in the same way as field beans?  I don't mind if they can't because I also have fenugreek, mustard & tares or clover, can't remember which now & I suppose I could put them on the compost heap if they're not worth trying to sow.  Any ideas?  I do have access to loads of horse manure but it's moving the stuff, everything is miles away from my allotment & I don't have a trailer so the weight is probably destroying my car so I'm very keen to explore green manures.

Lardman

Re: Green manure
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 21:48 »
Im not sure runners would be the best - Id imagine without something to grow up they'll just flop about, the plant taking more nutrients from the soil than the roots can put back.  You're probably better looking a true green manure, although I do wonder if broadbeans would be with trying it with....

Thoughts from the more experienced amongst us?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 22:05 »
dwarf beans are a good green manure and easy to grow
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:42 »
Like I say, I have fenugreek, clover & mustard, I'm not really looking to get anything else, I just want to know if the other stuff would work as they're all leguminous.  I wasn't thinking of growing them to full size, more getting them started, hacking them off and digging the roots in since they are all nitrogen fixers.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 09:31 »
They will all make green manure. Beans do not start fixing nitrogen until they are quite mature so you will be looking on them purely to soak up nutrient from the soil, which prevents them being leached out, and adding organic matter. As green manure rods down it releases the nutrients which are then available for your crops.

Although fenugreek is a nitrogen fixing plant it does not usually do so in our cool climate.

Phacelia is another good green manure plant.

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 17:05 »
Hum, I reckon these beans might be destined for the compost heap then, unless I have a bit of space to sow them in the atumn or something....

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.746 seconds with 36 queries.