Urgent first aid after attack by fox.

• 4 Replies

NormandyMary

Urgent first aid after attack by fox.
« on: April 24, 2009, 10:55 »
Ive just found that one of my light sussex has a nasty bite on her back, that has broken the skin exposing flesh.  (A fox I think, as Ive already lost one hen this week)The size of the wound is about 2-3" round. She is very quiet, but Ive brought her indoors in a box. She has drunk water and eaten some banana, but what can I do re the wound? Ive put some mild salt water on it, is there anything else I can do? I will keep her isolated from the others as they went to peck at her back. Please help me if you can.

Mary.

Vember

Re: Urgent first aid after attack by fox.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:01 »
Have you got anything you could use as a steri strip type thing to close the wound up?

This was Foxy's advice on a thread re a dog bite

oh the poor thing! and what a shock to find her like that :(

I would go with germolene or savlon. Gently clean with warm saline and then apply a layer of antiseptic cream. She will have exposed nerve endings which will be very painful so dont apply any harsh lotions or antiseptic lotions. The ointments  like savlon and germolene will be soothing and provide a barrier against infection. Shock will kill birds -so keep her warm and quiet in a box somewhere.

Good luck with her!

Sorry can't think of anything else you could do apart from a trip to the vets.

Sarah :)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 11:17 »
poor thing! The main thing is to try and keep that wound clean. Saline bathing is fine and germolene will be effective, being a gentle cream will aid the healing process. It would be a good idea to ask the vet for some oral Baytril to counter any infection from the bite. Check her carefully for any evidence of internal injuries, so can she walk, are her wings and legs OK? Are there any other bites you might have missed on first inspection?
Keep her quiet and in a dim area where she can recover from the stress of the attack. Continue to keep her away from the other chooks. It is good that she is still eating and dinking. Dont worry it is incredible what wounds that chickens have sustained and survived from! :)

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:21 »
Ive just found that one of my light sussex has a nasty bite on her back, that has broken the skin exposing flesh.  (A fox I think, as Ive already lost one hen this week)The size of the wound is about 2-3" round. She is very quiet, but Ive brought her indoors in a box. She has drunk water and eaten some banana, but what can I do re the wound? Ive put some mild salt water on it, is there anything else I can do? I will keep her isolated from the others as they went to peck at her back. Please help me if you can.

Mary.

Clean the area around the wound, shaving off a bit of feather as well if need be.  Salt water is a brilliant antiseptic for a wound.  Bathe it a few times a day with salt/tepid water, but don't cover it up.  The wound needs to dry and the to "granulate."
Keep your hen nice and quiet in a safe place, away from the other hens and indoors.  If you have another quiet shet/area where she can be kept alone, that would make her feel comfortable.  You don't want the others to be pecking at her wound.
You need a fox deterrent, electric fence/whatever.

Valerie
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 14:47 »
Thanks for the advice folks. Im happy to say that she seems to have perked up loads since this morning. Ive got her in a box in the conservatory, and she's busy keeping an eye on her mates outside, and she's just beginning to chatter to them. I take that all as a good sign. I'm going to do her again with salt water in a bit, Im  a bit worried about savlon or germolene, both of which I have, wont it sting? The wound is hidden a bit under her wing, though I dont think the wing itself is damaged. She's pooing and weeing well, Ive already had to clean her out once, so I take that as a good sign aswell.

Thanks again,

Nurse Mary.

xx
Urgent help needed after Arson attack

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 12:10
by VickyW
xx
Fox attack

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 09:23
by Robert_S
xx
Cat attack?

Started by Stewart P on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 21:41
by barley
xx
Dog Attack

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 17:25
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 36 queries.