Planting out runner beans

• 38 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Planting out runner beans
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 00:16 »
Achap on our site always plants his out this week or next and then surrounds the canes with polythene ive yet to see it fail.

I've done just that - not this year though... only just potted up first batch of chitted seed.

Using a long traditional style (wig-wam) frame I have planted on the inside of each cane then placed corrugated plastic on the outside held in place by short canes tied across the top of the sheeting.

I fould that this kept the cold air off and gave me an earlier bean crop. Further plants went out a few weeks later and then a thrid and final batch...  ;)

But... as we don't freeze runner beans just how many can a family eat!  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 07:22 »
I think i was to keen to get plants on the go. Mine are way to big for the green house now if i pull it off this year being my first im going to look so good on the lottie hahahahha but that could go the other way if it all goes pete tong with a frost.  Im trying my best to hold out untill next weekend to plant them out and go from there.  I will plant up some more just in case. 
Thanks
Kris

Digger Mum

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 07:35 »
I sowed mine in richy's paper pots ages ago & now there are leaves nearly as big as my hand!
The packet says to plant out in June so I am waiting but, crikey! I don't think the paper pots can hold them much longer!

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 07:49 »
I'm going to have to resow; mine got slept on by the cat. The 3 extras I put in a pot and fleeced are fine, but the others are all bent and snapped.

Lardman

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 10:13 »
Does nobody sow them directly ?

I've always started them off in pots too but last year the old bloke next door thought this a funny thing to do, he just chucked handfulls of seed across a row the same weekend I planted mine out and pushed them down with his walking stick. His beans cropped first and were far more prolific than my pampered, regularly watered and fed row.

I'll do 2 sets this year - one in pots (just sown) and one direct when T.O.B.N.D. scatters his magic bean seeds.

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 10:44 »
I sowed direct the first year, and the snails and slugs said thanks for the buffet. Stripped the lot.

Greendream

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 16:13 »
Mine have been out for 10 days now and growing nicely! Despite the stormy, windy weather of the last few days! The only plant I seem to have had no problems with so far....fingers crossed!  :)

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 17:16 »
Mine have been out for a week and going great guns and the second and the third lot are coming along nicely in the green house.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 19:17 »
Does nobody sow them directly ?

I've always started them off in pots too but last year the old bloke next door thought this a funny thing to do, he just chucked handfulls of seed across a row the same weekend I planted mine out and pushed them down with his walking stick. His beans cropped first and were far more prolific than my pampered, regularly watered and fed row.

I'll do 2 sets this year - one in pots (just sown) and one direct when T.O.B.N.D. scatters his magic bean seeds.

i do both, i find they crop for longer that way

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
French beans and runner beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 13:19
by Thrift

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 36 queries.