Ex Batt's Still not laying right

• 2 Replies

Newt

Ex Batt's Still not laying right
« on: April 23, 2009, 23:26 »
Hello.

I have 8 ex batt hens, we moved them in about 7 weeks ago, in which time 4 of them have gone through a moult. For the last 2 weeks however they have all been looking great, they have all now re-grown there feathers, have lovely red combs, bright eyes and yellow legs and feet. Out of the 8 chickens we are still only getting 3-4 eggs a day, they are of a good size and have lovely dark orange yolks. We don't want to hurry them along, I just hope its not something we're doing which is distressing them and stopping them from laying. They have a big run, probably about 50 meters square with plenty of trees and also a nice sunny area with some turf. We feed them layers mash in the morning a scatter a few handfuls of corn over the run, give them greens every few days and then another handful of corn in the evening before they go to roost. Any thoughts?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Ex Batt's Still not laying right
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 15:36 »
Don't give them too much corn as it is very fattening.  Just about half a handful each in the afternoon.  Pellets or mash can be given ad lib all day long.

If their legs are still quite yellow they are probably not back in lay yet.  Be patient  ;)

peanut

• Experienced Member
Re: Ex Batt's Still not laying right
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 18:05 »
When we got our first 10 ex-batts they layed well for a couple of days and then tailed off.  I was feeling very like you but after about a month they all sorted themselves out and it was oeufully good to see :D
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Ex-batt's

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 17:19
by JACDORE
xx
Ex Batt help

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 09:53
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.675 seconds with 27 queries.