Pecking order in new house

• 5 Replies

Rubellite

Pecking order in new house
« on: April 23, 2009, 21:31 »
The new house is nearly ready and the electric fencing has arrived. Hoping to move the girls over the weekend.
 :unsure:
The two newer girls are still getting a hard time from the original two. Would it be of any benefit to move the newer girls into the new quarters a couple of days before the other two? Do you think this would give them one over the older girls or do you think I would be creating more problems? Any ideas appreciated  ::) Thanks.

mumsy

Re: Pecking order in new house
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 22:08 »
I would leave them as is, my girls have taken at least 4 weeks to get along  with my new two.  Even after them spending 3 weeks separated, but in view.  Since the newbies have been laying all is ok.

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:59 »
I'm no expert but would put them all in together it does settle down eventually, the old girls might get a bit nasty if the new girls get to check out the new 4* pad first! We built a new run at the weekend and chucked all in together ::)

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:04 »
HI, can i just tell you what i did and it worked wonders!  :) :) :) :)
I had 2 older hens and introduced 2 newbies, we separated them, they could all see but not touch. Anyway after 4/5 weeks the older girls still was not happy, they use to pace up and down really shouting across and the two newbies :mad:. Then i read on this site that  you can disorientate them. So i swopped them over, it worked wonders, i think my two older girls really thought the grass was greener, 'well my little loves - it ain't'. Anyway after 8 long weeks they are all together and  all happy, they even flock together when they free range! If i was you i would try anything - it cant hurt them. :) :) :)

All the best
HENrietta
Live, Love and Laugh!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 09:22 »
Hello! I would of thought that if it is a brand new house and run??? they would maybe get on great cause they all going into neutral ground?? so its no one territory!! If not though, what worked for us when i introduced 2 new girls to 4 older girls was i had them in the run right next door with just netting (not wire!) seperating them at night times i put them all in together and did this for 2 weeks then on a friday (so i was around to break up squabbles) i left them all together!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 23:03 »
Hello! I would of thought that if it is a brand new house and run??? they would maybe get on great cause they all going into neutral ground?? so its no one territory!!

Hi CL. You were right! They have settled well into the new house and are all getting along famously. No squabbling and a lot less pecking ::)

xx
pecking order

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 17:13
by Bodger
xx
pecking order

Started by VIZLA BLUE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 15:08
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Is this a pecking order ??

Started by dilsdaisy on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 16:36
by joyfull
xx
pecking order

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 09:33
by SMD66

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 28 queries.