Yet another pest (peas and beans)

• 23 Replies

HLS

• Experienced Member
Yet another pest (peas and beans)
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:54 »
I was chatting to another plot-holder on my site yesterday, and he asked me whether I'd got any peas or beans in yet.  I said no, but I was going to plant some peas soon and beans a bit later.  He said that something had been eating his pea seedlings so enthusiastically that they looked like they'd been shot at (he waved a pea leaf at me but I couldn't see from where I was).  Apparently someone else on the site said that it was pea and bean beetle, which he hadn't heard of before (and neither had I) but is apparently rampaging around the site.

I haven't planted peas or beans yet, so I could sow them in pots at home to give them a headstart, but what else should I be doing to stop my legumes getting munched?

Honestly, between the insects and the couch grass and the clay soil and the mares tail and the pigeons (and my Dad accidentally hoeing over the few things that had germinated a couple of weeks ago), I'm beginning to despair of ever getting anything to eat!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Yet another pest (peas and beans)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 13:33 »
Identifiable by the almost symmetrical semi circle nibbles out of the edge of the leaf.

If you're not totally organic, a proprietary insecticide will see them off.

That reminds me........
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 13:50 »
So it was pea beetle, then?  I did wonder whether I'd misheard and he'd meant flea beetle, but that's usually more of a problem on salads and brassicas, I thought. 

I'm not totally organic but generally prefer to try organic solutions first.  The only insect spray I've got at the moment is an organic 'veg-friendly' one (which probably basically means soapy water) I used on aphids on my herbs last year.  Would that do, or do I need to buy something else?

Thanks!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 14:46 »
Try it first, if you can see them hopping around - it's working! I've got one or two showing signs, so I'm going to give them a precautionary spray.

One year I had it bad & sprayed them and the whole row seemed to come to life!

For a short while! :tongue2:

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 16:03 »
It is not pea beetles but pea and bean weevils. They sit on the edge of the leaf and chew, hence the characteristic knotches. The grubs will also be chewing the roots. Keep well watered and they should grow away.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 16:40 »
Right, so if I can get them off to a good start they should be OK, but I"ll keep an eye out in case the weevils get too greedy and I need to spray them.  That sounds manageable.

Thanks, DD and Salmo - I was feeling all discouraged.  Every time I even think about planting something I seem to discover a new pest, and the plotholder I spoke to gave me the impression that unless I bought industrial stocks of insecticide for the pea and been weevils I'd never get any legumes at all!

MoreWhisky

Peas getting eaten.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 22:18 »
Sorry to repeat a topic already spoke about but i cant find it.

My peas are getting eaten to death! there are hundreds of half moon shapes all over the leaves and some of them are nearly gone.

I did read some advice what it could be this afternoon but cant find the thread. I best do something asp before ive got none left. im even wiling to resort to chemicals.

Any advice on whats eating them and what the cure would be very welcome.

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Peas getting eaten.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 22:21 »
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 22:21 »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 22:21 »
Is it the bean and pea weavil?

My broad beans have similar marks on the leaves but I am sure I read on here somewhere that it doesn't affect the harvest.  Or am I mistaken?

gobs

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 22:30 »
Most pull through, not with great result as far as peas are concerned. An easy answer is don't do early outdoor sowings, you should be OK nowish...
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

MoreWhisky

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 22:37 »
Looks like im going to have to take DD's advice and get some 'proprietary insecticide' against the pea weevil.

Do i buy this from a garden centre? and what exactly do i ask for? proprietary insecticide ??

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 22:40 »
Start with Barnitts or any Garden Centre.  Most pesticides state what they target on the back of the packet / tin so should be clear.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 22:41 »
Most pull through, not with great result as far as peas are concerned. An easy answer is don't do early outdoor sowings, you should be OK nowish...

Why are u saying it mainy affects early crops gobs?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 22:42 »
Ok thanks Yorkie seems i best go buy my first chemicals  against the pea weevil :(

xx
Peas and Beans

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 15:58
by Schubunny
xx
Peas and Beans

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 20:09
by Yorkie
xx
Peas and Beans

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 23:45
by Paul Plots
xx
Beans and peas

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 15:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.717 seconds with 36 queries.