asparagus & mulch

• 4 Replies

courgette

asparagus & mulch
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:41 »
hi

I've got 2 asparagus plants that I bought from a nursery which are about 2ft high & I also planted 2 crowns in the same raised bed.

Is it a good idea to put some bark chips down? If so shall I fill the whole bed or just around the plants?

and is it ok to place over where the crowns are (as not grown shoots yet) or will this mulch prevent them from coming through?

I dont really understand how mulch prevents weeds etc  ???when they come through quite happily where there's any soil/compost and even concrete in some cases!  :wub:

paintedlady

Re: asparagus & mulch
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:01 »
Many seeds need light to germinate which most people become aware of every time they turn over the soil when there's another crop of weed seedlings springing up!  So mulching acts like a carpet to exclude light.  It won't stop established perennial weeds like bindweed, marestail & couch grass - they just keep on growing through and push their way to the top.  If something like dandelion lands on it and starts to germinate, you can usually pick them off quite easily (their roots can't seem to get a good grip) before the big tap root dives down

I'm not 100% sure about the suitablility of bark chippings over asparagus (I don't think it'll hamper it too much as established spears are chunky things and the right shape to push up, although if they are 1 year old crowns they may struggle)  I've usually spread well rotted manure over my asparagus bed and then picked out any weeds as they come up.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:19 »
I have new crowns this year and the shoots coming up are very thin – for this reason I wouldn’t recommend a heavy mulch over the crowns this year. Looking around at other plot holders the spears are much thicker after getting established and so mulching should be ok then – I guess the catch is that you get most weeds in year 1 so that is when you would most want a mulch!

courgette

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:11 »
Thank you both for the advice, appreciated  :)

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:38 »
my one year old crowns are just beginning to poke through and very spindly they are too. They're in a "lazy bed" topped up with composted manure and at the mo I can easily pick off the weeds - next spring I will have to be careful if i forget exactly where they are though!

xx
Mulch for asparagus

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 22:23
by Jackypam
xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
can i use mulch for.............................................?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 11:08
by 3759allen
xx
Low ph mulch

Started by waddecar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 22:19
by milkman

Page created in 1.12 seconds with 36 queries.