fred is poorly

• 10 Replies

wildwitchy

fred is poorly
« on: April 22, 2009, 22:36 »
One of my ex batt girls is poorly. I don't know whats up with her. I found her under a shrub instead of in bed with the others. She'd laid an egg there which is unusual as they all go in the box.

She was all limp when i picked her up & dopey. After bringing her indoors she started straining, like trying to pass an egg or something to no avail. Her feathers all fluffed up & her eyes were half closed. When they opened her pupils were dilated. Her breathing didn't seem good.

I put a glove on with some oil & put my finger up her vent to see if I could feel anything and she did a big runny poo (but i think it was normal) then a shell less egg shot out.

She feels warm,her comb is pink. it was bright red before. She seems to have settled a bit now on the settee and is asleep. She jumps occasionally but her breating seems steady now. I don't know if the egg was the problem or if its something else. I'm having a right time at the minute with them. I give them everything to eat that they should have - pelletts,grit,garlic,cider vinegar & corn/crushed oats in the afternoon for a treat.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks. x

Hawkins

Re: fred is poorly
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 22:40 »
It could have been the shell less egg upset her, it does take a lot out of her.

Even when we feed all the right things sometimes this just happens. Keep her warm and see how she is tomorrow. Im sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon but mine was poorly for a day aftre a shell less.

Keep us posted
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

wildwitchy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 22:58 »
I will, I did have a little panic because I wasn't sure what was up. One of my others was off colour with a soft egg but as soon as she laid it she was much better. Fred has taken a long time to regain her feathers (she's still quite bald even after 6 months) where as the others seem alot better covered. I hope she'll be ok.

wildwitchy

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 00:54 »
She has been waking up every so often, quite alert, looking around as if to say what am i doing here, poping off for a real long long drink of water then going back to sleep. I'm off to bed myself now, so she's in the cat basket.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:06 »
Talking of cat basket, you could try giving Fred some fishy tinned cat food - loads of protien.  It may help with her feathers.
Hope she is better this morning.
cathangirl

wildwitchy

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 23:33 »
Well I ended up going to bed at 02.30. I fell asleep with fred on my chest. We were all snuggled up warm on chair! I left her with some sugary water overnight. When I got up for work, she was in the box awake. She went out with the rest of the flock rest of the day. I got back home & she seemed like her usual self. That egg must of made her really bad. Thanks for the replies.  :) This website was the first place I thought about for some help with her.  ;)

P.s. I was reading another poorly chick post & aunt sally was saying about a sour crop? When Fred was on my chest beathing-I noticed her breath smelled really bad? Normally it doesn't. :unsure:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 23:48 by wildwitchy »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 15:43 »
Hmmm... check her crop in the morning wildwitchy and if it's big and squishy get some antibotic for her.

We have a bit about crop problems here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

wildwitchy

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 22:11 »
I had a look at her when i came home again. She's still a bit quieter than usual but seems not too bad (charging round the garden). She let me pick her up without a performance. She's usually a bit of a flapper.  8) I've been putting cider vinegar in the water as suggested. I might get some maggotts for her if her crop is full in the morning. I've also got a yogurt maker so I could give her some live yoghurt too if she'll take it.

They are such a worry. AND I want to get more????  :nowink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 22:43 »
ex-batts have had a hard life and it's a bit like buying an old car that's been driven hard and not been polished very often.  There are quite a few things waiting to go wrong.

Giving them a chance of a normal life even if only for a few months is a brilliant thing to do :D

wildwitchy

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 22:50 »
oh i know A.S.  I thought please don't snuff it, I've rescued you from being chicken pie or worse. You have a lovely home now, just get better! I'm a bit daft like that.  :lol:

I'll give her a session of reiki tomorrow.  :happy:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 23:00 »
I think the yogurt and possibly some antibiotic will do her more good than reiki !

The reiki might do you some good though.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
exclamation
A rather poorly hen... Help please...

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 21:00
by Spadefighter
xx
Not sure if i have a poorly hen.

Started by TamCal on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 16:37
by hillfooter
xx
my fav hen is poorly

Started by shetan on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 17:22
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 29 queries.