cabbage collars and peeeaaaassss

• 8 Replies

earthing83

• Experienced Member
cabbage collars and peeeaaaassss
« on: April 22, 2009, 20:13 »
Hi all,

A couple of questions, any guidance would be great!

I am very excited as I have a few wee cabbage seedlings poking through in my raised bed (only those and lettuce so far) they are tiny but I know that I should think about putting collars on them at some point. When does everyone do this? It seems crazy to try and collar such a small thing but I don't want to leave it too late. They are covered in fleece at the moment, will this be ok until they get to a decent size?

Also can anyone suggest average germinetion times for peas? I sowed afew about 10 days ago and no sign of anything yet. I am impatient so should I just wait a little longer?

Lee G

• Experienced Member
Re: cabbage collars and peeeaaaassss
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 20:20 »
Hi all,

Also can anyone suggest average germinetion times for peas? I sowed afew about 10 days ago and no sign of anything yet. I am impatient so should I just wait a little longer?

Good question, mine have been in 9 days and nothing, I thought this warm spell would have them racing on, but I do get a tad impatient  :blush:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 20:43 »
My peas took 10 days, but that's quite fast.

Don't panic yet!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 21:45 »
and you need to collar your brassicas now, that naughty cabbage white has already been spotted this year. Make sure its a snug fit, but also make sure it cant cut your seedlings heads off  :( . IMO Id net them totally, then theres no need (again IMO) to collar
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 21:51 »
It's to protect from the dreaded root fly. I cut some saucer sized cardboard discs, with an X in the middle for the stems. There's some good info here....www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/brassicas/cabbage-root-fly.php
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 21:54 by Bombers »
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 22:03 »
Yep Bombs thats the one,  :D (slap upside the head for me)

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 23:57 »
I dug down to see how my peas were progressing this afternoon. They were planted a week ago and small shoots are making their way towards the surface. If we get the promised rain at the weekend they will be through.

If your cabbage plants are under fleece then they are probably safe from cabbage root fly.

Cabbage root fly lay their eggs on the soil near to cabbage stems and the maggots that hatch crawl into the soil and chew the roots. The odd one does not matter but sometines there are dozens and all the roots get eaten. If a collar is in place the eggs are laid on the collar and the maggots cannot get into the soil. Cabbage root fly need to feed on nectar before they lay their eggs, often cow parsley flowers. They do not usually appear until mid-May but with the unusually warm days they could well about any time now.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:48 »
seen loads of cabbage white on my plot at the weekend... and I mean loads :D

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 17:20 »
Thanks everyone for your reliable advice...as always. I have just been to check them and think I will leave them covered in fleece till Saturday and then make some collars and net them (better safe than sorry!)

xx
Cabbage collars

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 15:30
by Nobbie
xx
cabbage collars diy

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 13:45
by richyrich7
xx
Cabbage Collars

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:52
by jazzbyrd
xx
cabbage collars

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2018, 10:39
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.991 seconds with 36 queries.