Yellowing pale brassicas

• 7 Replies

hubballi

Yellowing pale brassicas
« on: April 22, 2009, 17:47 »
All my brassicas I planted in small cell pots ( Cabbage, Broccoli, Kale) have started to go pale and yellowish with some of the leaves withering to nothing. Even after potting them on and spraying with seaweed they are still the same. I have taken them out the greenhouse in a shaded spot outside with fleece at night but it isn't helping.

The same has happened with some Rocket I am growing in the kitchen windowsill. They are thin, leggy and pale with some withering and dying.

Any suggestions ?

The compost I have used is very cheap B and M stuff which says it has John Innes in but I find a lot of large woody sticks and even bits of shredded plastic. The growbags are the same but they are 99p.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 13:46 by Aunt Sally »

Goosegirl

Re: Yelloying pale brassicas
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 18:11 »
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know the exact cause but the compost could be last year's or just poor quality. There are two items on this page re- compost and I replied to one of them about some good stuff I found this week. Feed plants like humans - don't buy the cheapo stuff - give them a good start in life with recommended composts seen on this forum. Robinson's (mammoth onion people - see my post reply) said their plants romped away. I know it's hard when pennies count but you can waste more time and money with false economy and get poor plants which is a shame. Hope this helps.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 19:06 »
i'm so fed up with useless compost i've actually started adding a little blood fish and bone to the compost i'm using for potting on, or stuff thats sown in 3in pots. Tiny seeds don't need anything to germinate but they will once growing actively.
This seems to have worked so far for me. :)

hubballi

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 19:31 »
My table top raised bed is full of the grow bag compost but I still need more to fill it to the top. If I get some quality loam compost to Finnish off will this help ?

gobs

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 19:53 »
My table top raised bed is full of the grow bag compost but I still need more to fill it to the top. If I get some quality loam compost to Finnish off will this help ?

Not these ones - anyhow, young seedlings don't need rich compost, however rubbishy ones can carry disease and rottening bits of wood are a favourite for fungi - they sound sickly, any chance you are overwintering, a photo helps a lot though.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:23 »
I think I have had the same problem; sowed 4 types of brassicas in Homebase John Innes and the majority have withered and died; I had to re do them a 2 weeks ago using a cheap multipurpose and they are coming up really well. Other things I sowed in the same compost failed; all my lupins failed, and germination for lobelia and cosmos was very poor. Leeks look a bit unhappy, but lettuce and chard are all fine.

Charlie

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 13:43 »
Just wondering if it could be the warmth in the greenhouse?  I am on my 3rd sowing of Calabrese, first two died off. The second was taken out of the greenhouse but damage was done.   I had same problem with Rocket and was beginning to think it was the compost then I discovered that the rocket tub I had popped by the side of the greenhouse is now flourishing outdoors and ready to cut, despite no attention from me for about two weeks (we did have rain in that time).

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Re: Yellowing pale brassicas
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 16:02 »
might just need some bonemeal, ive never experienced this b4....i always start mine off in seed compost in my coldframe then pot them on and then plant them out when they are good size and strength.i`m using asda own brand seed sowing compost ( the orange packet not smart price)
this year ive potted them on into peat free as a bit of a test.

xx
Peas going pale

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 10:29
by hubballi
xx
Chilli leaves pale

Started by BabbyAnn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 11:29
by fatbelly
xx
pale pumpkin leaves

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 21:53
by 8doubles
xx
Huge but pale pumpkin - what next?

Started by Cheryl B on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 13:49
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.554 seconds with 38 queries.