What is the point of a greenhouse then ?

• 10 Replies

blackcat

What is the point of a greenhouse then ?
« on: April 22, 2009, 14:34 »
Having read through some of these posts I am beginning to wonder what the point of a greenhouse is?  As it gets very hot in one even the plastic one I have (and it is only spring temperatures)....  Everything might as well be started off on windowsills in the house....    :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What is the point of a greenhouse then ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 15:00 »
Everything might as well be started off on windowsills

yes you can do that, but i find i very quickly run out of window ledges :lol: I think that at the moment some people are sowing things in the greenhouse that do not need heat :(

But for me a g/h means i get a better crop of tomatoes and peppers, cues and aubergine :lol:
That's all

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 15:06 »
Greenhouses also extend a season - last year my outdoor chillies & peppers were so slow to ripen and then it started to get colder outside and I wished I'd had a greenhouse for both the warmth and a little extra time.  Then there's some winter cropping of salad leaves etc, and how about some potatoes then too?
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Mowhay

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 15:14 »
And remember that a greenhouse has roof vents and wall louvres to allow air to flow through them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 15:17 »
I agree........ i do use mine through the winter for salad and other stuff but i only bought it in the first place for the toms :lol: Lots and lots of toms :lol: :lol:

And remember that a greenhouse has roof vents and wall louvres to allow air to flow through them.

If you're lucky...depends what you can afford! Mine has 1 small sliding window and the door for ventilation and that's it.........but i still manage somehow :lol: :lol:

blackcat

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 15:50 »
Ah so tomatoes are the key!   :lol:  And I suppose extending a season by a little bit -  8)

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 15:56 »
we are already eating salads from one greenhouse whilst my other one is used as a giant cold frame currently holding stock for planting out when risk of frost has gone. My polytunnel is half up and is intended for extending season particularly for bulk stuff later in season such as peas, sweetcorn etc.
I dont heat my greenhouses but I do have heated propogator about 2 metres by 1 metre which brings all my seeds along in very light conditions and which I could not easily do in a shed. Also good place to work (lurk) when weather not too good and still feel as if I am gardening. Etc. So every point from my side I think.
R

blackcat

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 16:02 »
So regarding putting the seeds into a greenhouse to grow, since I am one of the people that do this  :tongue2:

Is it only tomatoes that are best grown in a greenhouse - along with the peppers etc (I am doing radishes, sweetcorn, tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli etc) mixture in the house and in the greenhouse??

:unsure:

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 16:23 »
early potatoes, all kinds of salad greens, rocket, greek cress, water cress, herbs, bedding plants, amusing the granddaughter, keeping carrots away from the dreaded carrot fly, starting off leeks and runner and dwarf beans and sweet corn, celery, celeriac, plus the usual toms, cues, courgettes, marrows, squashes and pumpkins, sweet peppers, chillis, aubergenes, - the potential list is endless it is just space that needs careful planning and juggling so have space for those plants that stay in teh greenhouse whilst having things ready to go out once frost risk passed.
R

blackcat

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 16:39 »
goes off to put the sweetcorn in the greenhouse to make a bit of window sill space  :lol: ---------->>

RichardA

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 18:59 »
blackcat - my sweet corn are currently in a propogator at 16degrees C in a cold greenhouse. Planted two weeks ago but by tomorrow they will be stood on the benches as they are now about 3 inches high so nened toughening up gradually for planting out in about 4 weeks time. Not sure they would have germinated without the bottom heat. No doubt you spotted that but I did not want to mislead anyone. I need their space for herbs incl some lemon grass seeds i have just spotted in a garden centre when I went in for something else !! As you do.
R

xx
one more for a bonus point ?

Started by penlee on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 01, 2007, 12:33
by WG.
xx
Whats the point ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 21:34
by titch
xx
From stable to boiling point...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 22:37
by Quetzal
xx
More Leeks 5 point question

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 21:27
by billathome65

Page created in 0.754 seconds with 38 queries.