When to move from indoors to the greenhouse?

• 12 Replies

gawk

When to move from indoors to the greenhouse?
« on: April 21, 2009, 23:20 »
I have a lot of young plants stacking up on the conservatory windowsill and am wondering when to start putting some into the unheated greenhouse on the plot. This is the first time for growing from seed and also I've never had a greenhouse before so I'm new on both accounts!

I've got some cucumbers (F1 Burpless) that are around 5" tall and some San Marzano tomatoes at around 4" tall which I think might be ready for the greenhouse. I took some of the cucumbers down to the greenhouse today thinking to make space at home but it was hot in the greenhouse even with the door and window open and they started to wilt! I took them back home and they perked up again.

These plants have lived a privileged life so far, warm, out of direct sunlight for most of the day and no drafts/wind.

So my questions are...
1) With such big temperature changes at the moment (day and night) am I best to hang on and let them get a bit bigger before I move them to the greenhouse?
2) Do I need to harden them off in anyway, considering that they will stay in the greenhouse?

Maybe you could let me know what you do and what works best for you?
It's all too much!

peterjf

Re: When to move from indoors to the greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 23:22 »
you can start to take stuff outside from 2nd week in may , but remember to cover them with fleece , then after 3-4 days outdoors the plants are ready for planting out proper

gawk

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 23:36 »
OK, thanks Peter, that is good info but did you mean planting outside? The plants I mentioned are destined to stay in the greenhouse and to grow there.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 23:44 »
The ones that will stay inside the unheated greenhouse...
take them into the GH during the day now (as long as it doesnt get suddenly really cold) and then bring them back in at night. Do this for about two weeks or when all risk of frost is gone from your own GH
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

gawk

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 23:52 »
Thanks Peapod, one of my worries was the daytime heat in the greenhouse in this sunny period was making the cucumbers wilt, or is that just part of the hardening process the plant needs to get used to?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 23:55 »
Not a cuc fan gawk,so cant say for sure, but wilting usually points to underwatering. BUT, with cucs, you have to be careful to avoid too much watering. Check the compost and see if its dry, but take care not to water too much. Keep away from draughts and make sure they are kept relatively humid. You could try rigging up a plastic sheet to screen them off from the rest of the GH

gawk

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 00:04 »
heh heh - I'm not a cucumber fan either, I like them but they don't like me (if you know what I mean) but the kids love them.

The plants were fine on the windowsill but the leaves drooped in the greenhouse heat, you know the feeling you get when you suddenly walk into a really hot room, that is what the cucumber plants must have felt. I don't have the experience or confidence to just leave them in the GH in case I'm doing it wrong so I took them home again and they are now all pert again ;) The compost felt moist but not 'wet'.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 00:07 »
Hows the humidity in the GH? It may be too dry for them, my unheated GH has been so dry that Ive been hosing down the floor

gawk

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 00:15 »
Very good point, it is tinder dry so I'll up the humidity tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 00:37 »
You're very welcome, let me know if they make it (seeing as how they are suicidal or so Ive heard  :D )

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 07:44 »
Thanks Peapod, one of my worries was the daytime heat in the greenhouse in this sunny period was making the cucumbers wilt, or is that just part of the hardening process the plant needs to get used to?

If you have no shading then they might wilt even if well watered... try laying newspaper (one sheet) across them to protect them until the foliage has toughened up. I do this with anyhting I move from the windowsill to the greenhouse for a few days as it stops them scorching. (Got the shading up now though  :D)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gawk

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 10:49 »
Thanks sunshineband, I'll try covering them with a sheet of newspaper. I'll also look into what shading I can put in/on the greenhouse such as netting or whitewash.

The greenhouse is shaded by a tree until about 11 in the morning and has full sun after that.

noshed

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 11:44 »
Whitewash can be hard to clean off in the autumn. A lot of people on our site just fling some debris netting over. I staple old compost bags to the frame to shade out the worst of the sun and put stuff under the shelves as well. It's already been over 30deg in there. In a few weeks I'll have to take everything out.
Cold frames can be useful then because you can leave them open all the time and they just act as a windbreak until things have hardened off.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
recently planted fruit trees move or not to move

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 22:15
by solway cropper
xx
what to sow indoors

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 09:27
by DD.
xx
Getting veg started indoors

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 14:52
by Steve.P
xx
Sweetcorn indoors or out?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 14:44
by Kristen

Page created in 0.709 seconds with 36 queries.