planting now

• 19 Replies

dawnj

planting now
« on: April 21, 2009, 22:09 »
Hi another question!!! This is my 1st year so alot of reading and getting alot of advice from you guys.....today a frend dropped off Runner beans, leeks,brcolli, cabbage and sweetcorn.....all ready in pots ready to plant in my raised bedding, they are in my porch at the moment as I only have a small plastic greenhouse and not enough space for them all, is it too early to plant? I have the beds protected with netting so I shouldn't have no bother with the birds..... help............

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: planting now
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 22:23 »
Runner beans and sweetcorn are frost tender and should not be planted out until the risk of frost has passed. For me that is early June.  A small plastic greenhouse is unlikely to keep the frost off, a cool but light place in the house would be better.

Cabbage and leeks will be fine outdoors, but make sure you cover the cabbage with fine mesh to prevent cabbage white butterflies laying eggs on them (netting is unlikely to suffice).

I've not grown broccoli so am not sure about this - hopefully someone else will be able to answer this - but if it is outdoors it too will need protecting from pigeons and cabbage whites.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 22:23 »
You can plant out the broccoli, cabbage and leeks (harden them off first though). Leave the sweetcorn and runners until after the last frosts

Nettin has to be sufficiently fine to protect from CW,but if you have debris netting or something as fine well pegged with no access at all then you should be ok
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 22:25 by peapod »
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

dawnj

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 23:29 »
the netting I have is very fine and small holes (Strawberry netting) is this ok it will be secured aroung the edges, or do i need different type?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 23:33 »
the strawberry netting Im aware of isnt fine enough for CW. Do you have any dimensions or a pic and I can let you know?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 23:41 »

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 00:17 »
This is debris netting mesh type if this helps?

( http://www.protectivetextile.co.uk/images/buildingindus/greennet-with-mag_1.gif )

The Debris netting I have is almost exactly the same as your diagram, it's the gap through the black area I was worried about. Was just wondering whether I should put tape over it to stop anything gaining entry, what do you think?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 00:19 by Muddylou »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 00:35 »
Duct tape works a treat

iwantanallotment

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 00:47 »
wow....I have a roll of debris netting too which I thought would be failsafe,  but didn't know about the black holes - thanks for highlighting that, MuddlyLou.

South Downs Wayer

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 06:14 »
will that debris netting let enough light and water through? hope that wasn't a daft question .
Roy

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 07:13 »
^ I have Derby Day and Greyhound cabbage growing under it and they are coming on a treat, just wish some of my other stuff (not under netting) were doing so well. ;)

JRRD

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 09:17 »
Can i ask ...... are you supposed to keep brassicas covered with net all season ?

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 09:30 »
Netting to keep out butterflies needs to have holes of 7mm or less. Much of the standard netting has bigger holes than that. Read what it says on the packs.

Not sure when cabbage whites start laying eggs but I have seen some on the wing this week. I was pleased to see lots of other butterflies about too. Brimstone, orange tip, tortoisshell, peacock and holly blue all seen on one walk.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 12:14 »
Can i ask ...... are you supposed to keep brassicas covered with net all season ?

I have to, otherwise they disappear, either caterpillars or pigeons.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

dawnj

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 09:42 »
what does "harden them off mean?"............i think i needed to go on a coarse so much to take in.

xx
planting

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 20:17
by Beetroot queen
xx
Planting something different

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2013, 09:51
by surbie100
xx
Planting out!

Started by pinkdaisychain on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 18:55
by sunshineband
xx
Planting in between.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 16:59
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 38 queries.