Chickens

• 6 Replies

rogerthefish

• Location: Coelbren (Brecon Beacons National Park) South West Wales UK
Chickens
« on: April 21, 2009, 19:31 »
 :)
I am an absolute beginner so here goes.  I recently bought a chicken coop with enough room for 8 chickens.  I will shortly be buying 3 one year old Warren hens and need some tips on feeding and bedding.  I have a bag of mixed corn, a bag of layers pellets and some grit.  Do I mix them in the feeder and in what proportions? Regarding bedding - do I spread it all over the floor of the chicken house or just in the nest box.

Any help really appreciated.

Vember

Re: Chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 19:43 »
Hi Roger

Welcome to the hen house :)

I leave Grit & oyster shell down at all times in dishes on the floor so that they can go and have a peck as and when they feel the need :)

In my coop I have sawdust on the floor and in the nest box, you can add straw to the nest box but Grannie Annie recently mentioned that this can sometimes cause respiratory problems :( Never put hay in as the hens will eat it and it can then lead to impacted crops :(

Sarah :)

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 19:47 »
The layers pellets need to be on offer all day, but the mixed corn is just for a treat about 30 mins before their bed-time.
Water should be on offer at all times, fresh daily.
Grit and oyster shell is often sold mixed, so that can go in one dish, on offer at all times, but if you buy them seperately you can keep them that way in two dishes.
Good luck,
cathangirl

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 23:01 »
we have straw in the nest box and newspaper under the perches.
It's easier to clean out - you just whip away the old newspaper in the morning and throw it in the compost, then put new paper down.

most hybrids should have 4 and a half ounces of layers' mash or pellets per hen per day(it's a personal preference as to which - most people think pellets are less messy) 
If they're on soil, then extra grit shouldn't be necessary, but you can get it from farm animal food shops if needs be.  Fill their feeder in the morning and let them help themselves.
they also like to have greens (that makes the yolk yellow), so hang up a cabbage or let them graze on grass.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 23:09 »
And how big is your henhouse?  If the manufacturer's say room for 8, it's probably only big enough for 4!  They should have at least 1sq ft per bird in the house and AT LEAST 1sq metre of run, but most of us give our chooks as much room as we can, so they can be real chickens.

I hope it all goes well for you!!!!  they are great characters.

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:20 »
:)
I am an absolute beginner so here goes.  I recently bought a chicken coop with enough room for 8 chickens.  I will shortly be buying 3 one year old Warren hens and need some tips on feeding and bedding.  I have a bag of mixed corn, a bag of layers pellets and some grit.  Do I mix them in the feeder and in what proportions? Regarding bedding - do I spread it all over the floor of the chicken house or just in the nest box.

Any help really appreciated.

Hi, welcome to the people coop!!!

I have 6 hens in a transformed triple dog kennel.  Loads of room.  I put wood shavings on the floor and in the nesting boxes.  I put it about 5 inches deep (13cm) to start with and add to it as it gets flattened. Cleaning out doesn't need to be done as often, just keep adding the shavings.  Under the perch I put either newspaper or bits of cardboard which can be burned or added to the composter.
It's kinder to give them as much room as possible in the coop.  When the days get rainy and windy, especially in winter, the hens spend quite a bit of time indoors.
I use organic layers pellets and fill the feeders and leave them hanging in the coop so they can eat whenever they feel like it.  They get corns and grit mixed for their bedtime treat.  I just scatter it.  It's lovely to see them all come running, almost flying when they see me arrive with my little blue bowl of "treats"
My ladies won't touch greens.  Tomatoes yes, apples, pears and other fruits yes, but they were a bit wary of bits of banana!!! :blink:
I've started rearing my own meal worms, which they LOVE.  They cost a lot to buy, but to rear them costs only pennies.
Hope this helps  :D

Valerie

x x x x
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

rcandy2001

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 13:00 »

I've started rearing my own meal worms, which they LOVE.  They cost a lot to buy, but to rear them costs only pennies.
Hope this helps  :D

Valerie

x x x x

How do you rear mealworms? i would be interested to hear about this. Or is that a stupid question?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 13:03 by Aunt Sally »

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Is 2 chickens too few??

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 15:32
by Ribbit

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 36 queries.