Is It Too Late

• 17 Replies

Solitaire

Is It Too Late
« on: April 21, 2009, 18:49 »
I've only just decided to start growing my own veggies, will it be too late to plant anything ??

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Is It Too Late
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 18:52 »
Nope!
You are a bit late with chillies and maybe toms, but loads of other veg can be started now or will catch up, try it and see! Earlier planted stuff can bring its own problems.

What were you thinking about growing?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Yabba

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 18:59 »
I've only just decided to start growing my own veggies, will it be too late to plant anything ??

You're never to late, there's always something to grow ... even if it's only "impatient" :tongue2:

I'd say you're a smidge to late for chillis but you can still start toms, we only started ours in late may/early june last year when we suddenly acquired a greenhouse ... mind you, they didn't turn red until the start of october, still had a few carrier bags full off them though, so it's worth it huh? ;)

¥

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 19:11 »
The simple answer is NO!
I put NO in capitals on purpose...Why?
Cos' when I got my first plot a couple of years back we  had
more salad than you could possibly imagine.....

An' were still alive ....

Took the plot on in the June of that year.....

GO for IT   ;)   ;) 

ps.. there's loads more than salad you can still grow,

the season has only just begun.... :) :)

Believe me...I know where your at.......!!!!!!!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 19:29 »
I've only just planted sweetcorn, and am just about to plant runner beans, french beans, squashes, pumpkins and courgettes, ready to plant outside at beginning of June. So you can still do all these and more...
Rachael

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 19:35 »
I agree with everyone :lol:
there's a few things that it's too late for, eg aubergines& chillies but you could always buy a couple of plants from a garden centre if they are your favourite things :lol: No one minds if you need a little bit of help.
This chart helps for sowing times but as we had a cold spring, everthings a bit behind anyway this year, so no worries :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 21:52 »
I haven't started anything like toms, courgettes, beans, sweetcorn etc off yet - though aim to do so in the next few days.

However, it would really help if you could update your location, Solitaire.

I know you're in France from your welcome post - but answers to questions like this will really vary according to where you live. 

For example, some posters have referred to the start of June as the date by which the frost risk is passed - but if you live in the south of France, this advice may not be correct for you.  Also, your growing season will differ according to day length / temperature etc.  And the seasonal chart will differ significantly too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 21:54 »
Ah yes didn't know that ::) Oops

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 21:54 »
i have only just started myself and have just planted some tatties so it better not be too late coz i have a hundred and one seeds to sow! ::)
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 22:08 »
As already mentioned, you are not too late by a long shot.

You are a bit late to sow some summer cropping stuff but not all, and there is still time for most and you can always cheat a bit and buy in plants rather than sow seed.

For many crops for winter use (Next) you are probably still to early.

Are you planning growing in your garden? Do you have any ground ready? Do you have a greenhouse or cold frames.

Where abouts are you as this can make a difference.

Bob

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 22:36 »
I haven't started anything like toms, courgettes, beans, sweetcorn etc off yet - though aim to do so in the next few days.

However, it would really help if you could update your location, Solitaire.

I know you're in France from your welcome post - but answers to questions like this will really vary according to where you live. 

For example, some posters have referred to the start of June as the date by which the frost risk is passed - but if you live in the south of France, this advice may not be correct for you.  Also, your growing season will differ according to day length / temperature etc.  And the seasonal chart will differ significantly too.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 22:39 »
i have only just started myself and have just planted some tatties so it better not be too late coz i have a hundred and one seeds to sow! ::)

Is that exactly?  :tongue2: :D

Solitaire

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 09:18 »
I have hard clay soil full of stones, so am only just trying to dig it over, having 2 horses I have plenty of manure and my weather stays warm into November early December.

It's just such hard work breaking up the ground  :wacko: I thought it would be too late to plant.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 10:23 »
still plenty of things to plant, i am a bit late with my chillis and aubergine, only put them in a heated propergator yesterday, still no harm in trying i figure.

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 11:38 »
I have only just started planting on the plot over the last couple of weeks, potatoes, parnsips and leeks on the plot and spinach, nasturtiums and salad leave at home....

I plan to throw polythene over the area that's left on the plot, give it a good soaking with water and a layer of horse poo and grow lots of pumpkins and courgettes through the polythene.  I wonder if you could consider trying this to save you some backache trying to break the soil up.... but still make you feel like you are being productive?  Good luck anyway. :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
is it too late?

Started by finty22 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 19:55
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.677 seconds with 38 queries.