New owner questions

• 13 Replies

rcandy2001

New owner questions
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:54 »
Hi everyone, hope you are all enjoying the lovely weather! I have a few questions regarding my chickens I got on Saturday.

The first night I got them I had to show them into the coop when it got dark and put them up on the perchs. But the second night and since they have been going to bed themselves at about 7:30ish, its not even dark then? Is this normal, or do I just have lazy girls? They have also gone up on the perches every night since on their own, I didn’t excpect them to catch on so quickly! Again, is this normal?

Secondly, I want to give them a good check over, for lice etc. Is there a topic on the forum with guidelines on what to look for?

Thanks in Advance

Andy

Katiea

Re: New owner questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:01 »
We only got ours two weeks ago but they found their way to their house first night and have put themselves to bed every night since.  They've had different bed times, the other night they were up past 9, last night they went to bed about 7.45 ish, I think they just go when they feel like it!

Have a look at the omlet website for health guides they have some helpful videos etc there  :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:29 »
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 16:24 »
I would guess a lot of the variation may be to do with your immediate surroundings. We have a lot of trees and shrubs about with birds flying here and there come dusk. Ours tend to go when the fuss has died down a bit.
If you don't have much going on, they may just feel the time is right.

Either that or they like to watch Corrie. :wub:

Rob 8)

rcandy2001

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 16:59 »
Yeah that could be why, its typical terraced garden. So not many trees about.

I must admit i was a little dissapointed yesterday. I put my son to bed at 7:30 and was looking forward to sitting in the garden and watching them and making sure they went to bed. I looked out the back door, but couldnt see any chickens! Strolled down the garden and opened the coop door to find 3 ladies peering down at me from their perchs, they didnt look impressed with the disturbance!

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 18:32 »
 :lol:

It's normally about 9.30-10 come mid-summer so you'll get your chance. :)

I fixed up a PIR light last autumn so when I go to shut the pophole, that comes on and they sometimes come out thinking the sun's come out again  ::)
We then play "I'll sneak away, you go back to bed and we'll try again".

The worst thing is when your fave TV prog is starting in 3 minutes, they've just gone in and you have to make sure they're tucked in without missing the start of your prog. Sometimes, they have to wait half an hour with the door open  :D

Rob 8)

jaws

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:56 »
I am also a newbie and love the way the hens put themselves to bed at night then grumble as you go to shut them in and disturb their sleep. I have a small coop in a run unit but open the door all day for them to free range the garden.
With the lighter mornings they really grumbled at me if I was a bit late opening the pop hole. I have taken to leaving the pop hole open all night to allow access to their enclosed run and the food - as early as they want. Is this OK
Also because the run is open all day I have noticed the black birds taking advantage of the chicken pellets - today the feeder was comp[letely empty when I got home from work and I had put out a good 4.5 oz each. Does anyone have any tips for making the feeder "other bird" proof or am I worrying about nothing
Mind you I have noticed birds (including hens) are becoming cheekier and often come through the open doors of our porch and kitchen to steal the dogs' food. The dogs are too docile to bother about this.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 09:23 »
I just accept that I am feeding any bird within flying distance. Regularly have dunnocks and sparrows queuing to get at the pellets. I broadcast the corn in the evening to make the hens work for it and there are always little bits being gleaned by small birds. It is impossible for me to bird proof my hen run, so there you have it, no idea how much goes into my hens and how much into the general bird population  ???
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Katiea

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 11:56 »
I have taken to leaving the pop hole open all night to allow access to their enclosed run and the food - as early as they want. Is this OK

Yep Jaws I do that too - I'm assured that's fine while the weather's decent, we should close them in from around November to February but then dawn is later so they won't mind waiting for you to come let them out!  :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 18:32 »
I am also a newbie and love the way the hens put themselves to bed at night then grumble as you go to shut them in and disturb their sleep. I have a small coop in a run unit but open the door all day for them to free range the garden.
With the lighter mornings they really grumbled at me if I was a bit late opening the pop hole. I have taken to leaving the pop hole open all night to allow access to their enclosed run and the food - as early as they want. Is this OK
Also because the run is open all day I have noticed the black birds taking advantage of the chicken pellets - today the feeder was comp[letely empty when I got home from work and I had put out a good 4.5 oz each. Does anyone have any tips for making the feeder "other bird" proof or am I worrying about nothing
Mind you I have noticed birds (including hens) are becoming cheekier and often come through the open doors of our porch and kitchen to steal the dogs' food. The dogs are too docile to bother about this.

Hi Jaws.

Are you leaving the hens to free-range during the day without supervision ? :unsure:

If so, you're running a risk with foxes and other predators. I'm always wary about leaving pop-holes open at night no matter how secure you think your run is. You only know it's secure if a fox tries to get in and fails. The other sort of discovery is not a pleasant one. :(

ROb 8)

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 20:57 »
We NEVER EVER leave our hens to free range without any supervision,  :unsure: you just dont know what lurkes in your garden when your not there and like what Rob has said foxes are extremly daring animals, and if they know there is a nice lunch available they will do anything to get your lovely ladies. And sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but he will kill them all but only eat one! :ohmy: 
I know its hard to leave them couped up all day, but trust me it is awful losing a hen to a fox! :( I make a cup of tea and go straight to my girls and let them have a couple of hours late afternoon. They love it  :) Hope this helps a little.

Hi Rob, i have just started leaving my hen house door open all night, i really do know that a fox cant get in my coup will my hens be ok?

Thanks HENrietta
Live, Love and Laugh!

jaws

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 00:52 »
I live in the middle of a city and I have two dogs who roam all over the garden and poo all over leaving their scent.
I am hoping these factors will deter foxes.
The combined coop and run seems an awful lot smaller now I have got it home - even with just two chickens

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 15:35 »
Urban foxes tend to be more bold than rural ones, so I wouldn't rely on dog poo to keep a fox away. A hungry fox may enter a garden where there are people and dogs and take its chances.

How big is your run/coop ?

Most manufactured runs are a lot smaller than they need to be. For 2 chickens, you need to be looking at about 2-4 sq metres if you free range them most of the time and I would suggest double that for a permanent run. Just my opinion of course. :)

Rob 8)

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 20:28 »
Not me by the way, my little dears live in a fenced enclosure, but several people around our valley have hens and ducks galloping about all over the fields without any supervision at all, unless you count ewes and lambs. We have the usual number of foxes, stoats etc I suppose, but ultra free ranging remains common practice.

We NEVER EVER leave our hens to free range without any supervision,  :unsure: you just dont know what lurkes in your garden when your not there and like what Rob has said foxes are extremly daring animals, and if they know there is a nice lunch available they will do anything to get your lovely ladies. And sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but he will kill them all but only eat one! :ohmy: 
I know its hard to leave them couped up all day, but trust me it is awful losing a hen to a fox! :( I make a cup of tea and go straight to my girls and let them have a couple of hours late afternoon. They love it  :) Hope this helps a little.

Hi Rob, i have just started leaving my hen house door open all night, i really do know that a fox cant get in my coup will my hens be ok?

Thanks HENrietta

xx
new chook owner, some questions :)

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 20:50
by barbarella
xx
New Hen Owner

Started by bluelou on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 22:27
by rachelr
xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
Advice please - new owner

Started by Tosca on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 16:03
by Sassy

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 37 queries.