Cockerel fighting wounds - how to treat him?

• 9 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Cockerel fighting wounds - how to treat him?
« on: April 20, 2009, 21:48 »
Hi all.

Today I got to the lottie to check on the chooks and it seems that Patrick, my buff orp, has been put into the pen with the sussex.  Not sure why; maybe Paddy escaped and someone put him in the larger run thinking he belonged in there (no way for him to get into it himself and the door to the big run was pulled to).

By the time I got to the lotty I found Charlie, the LS, climbing on the back of Paddy as if trying to mount him and Paddy was just sitting there, submitting with a swolen face and blood all over him - he appeared to be in shock  :ohmy:

I separated them straight away and took Paddy home to clean up his wounds with warm water and cotton wool and after making sure he was dried up from cleaning him I took him back to the allotment (nowhere for him to stay at the house and I felt it would be more stressfull if he woke up in a strange place).  Whilst cleaning him up he kept trying to sleep, I'm not sure if that was just because it was late and he may have been tired but I presume he was also exhausted from fighting.  I have sprayed him with purple spray but apart from making sure he doesn't get back into the other run is there anything else I can do to help him recover?

I am at work tomorrow but will be down at the allotment beforehand and afterwards.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 18:40 by Ice »

raeburg

Re: Cockerel figthing wounds - how to treat him?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 23:14 »
some people have previously suggested rescue remedy but I have never had need to try it.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 23:24 »
For injuries like that "rescue remedy" is as useful as using a sticking plaster to heal a broken leg.  If it were my chicken and it looked as bad tomorrow I would take it to the vet.  But then again I am not a chicken person.
Cheese makes everything better.

raeburg

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 00:27 »
My vet suggested antiseptic creams for open wounds as the alcohol content in purple wound spray could sting too much.  Try and keep the wounds clean and maybe see your vet for antibiotics to prevent the wounds from becoming infected.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 00:34 »
My idiots have mixed it up four times so far this year. What you have to understand is that when roosters fight they will grab the comb and then rake the face and head with the spurs and kick too.

The comb and wattles will bleed profusely when there is injury to them but generally stop bleeding rather fast. Tomorrow the injuries will start to swell and one or both eyes will be swollen shut but it will improve in about two days depending on how severe the swelling is. So now you know what to expect.

As far as treatment goes I usually do not clean off the scabs because it can cause the injuries to start bleeding again and then you are back to square one. Give no asprin for pain as it thins the blood and can cause bleeding. Watch for the eyes to crust over and just clean them with some sterile water and a soft cloth. The rescue remedy would be a very good idea as the extra vits. and nutrition will help them heal faster.

Prevention, trim those spurs!! Take about 1/4 inch off of the tip of the spurs and then round them off with sandpaper or a nail file. It won't prevent injury altogether but it will lessen the chance of a nasty puncture wound. And it could prevent one in you too!!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 17:57 »
Thanks guys, I went to see him before I started work this morning (up at 5am because I just couldn't sleep with the whole thing) and he's perked up considerably.  His left eye is still swollen shut but his right eye is just about open, or at least enough for him to see out of so he doesn't bump into stuff!  He looks like he's been in the ring with Tyson  :ohmy: but he's crowing and hoobling around (y'know, the noise they make when they call the hens to feed) whereas yesterday he was just exhausted and could barely make a squeek let alone crow.

as for prevention well it won't be happening again; I've made d*mn sure he can't get out again (unless someone lets him out  :mad:) but I'm going on the Kill Pluck Bone & Gut course being run by Hookfarmchickens on saturday, so Charlie and the other LS cockerall won't be around after sunday so there will be nobody for poor paddy to be bullied by.

Will get some extra vits into him and see if that helps his recovery

:happy:

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 01:04 »
You know I would wait a week or so before putting the other rooster in the pot. There could be a lot of bruised meat that would have to be cut away and disposed of. Or use him as the first bird you do so if mistakes are made it will not be on a good bird! 

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 17:55 »
good point I hadn't thought of that!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 18:35 »
Excellent advice nnbreeder. It's always nice to be forewarned about what will/might happen next (cuts down on the panic a bit for me I find! ::)).
Think rescue remedy might mean something different over here. In the UK it generally refers to Bach's rescue remedy which is a homeopathic dilution of floral extracts in alcohol (which might be just what he needs to feel a bit better ;)) but doesn't have vits or minerals in it. I know lots of people who swear by it, not a believer myself and I think with your sound advice the'll be no need for it.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Re: Cockerel fighting wounds - how to treat him?
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 23:58 »
This is copied from another website with permission.

To help a bird recover from illness, they need extra protein.. this formula really helps them with thier recovery

My Treatment is this

“” This amount feeds one bird””

Feed the birds three times a day for three days a mixture of

This mixture is what you will need for the entire three feeds…. It is not 3 egg yolks and 3 teaspoons of honey etc…. divide the contents into three

½ to 1 x egg yolk….. give the whites to the other hens mixed into their seed or pellets (depends a lot on the size of the egg yolk)

1 teaspoon honey…. .given for energy

2 x tablespoons yoghurt…. Given for calcium and also to make the bowel go back into normal production after this upset
Only use the plain yoghurt never the one with fruit or extra sugar in it, not good for the bird

¼ teaspoon calcium powder (if you can’t get the yoghurt)

3 to 4 tablespoons rolled oats…. To give substance to the feed, or use chicken crumbles or layer pellets but soften them with some boiling water first

Sprinkle of multi vitamin powder (only if you are not already giving it to them in their drinking water, don’t overdose) just a few grains will usually be enough for this size mixture

2 to 4 table spoons of apple sauce or grated apple, it must be grated not chopped up for ease of digestion

Mix to make a crumble mixture not runny

If the bird is not eating you will have to force feed... roll into small pellets the same size as a layer pellet.... and force feed, and then massage the neck in a downward motion to get it down into the bired crop, make sure your keep the neck straight, its really hard getting someting down a neck that is bent or curved, the bird may be too weak to eat or have lost the desire to eat…. Don’t hold back…. The longer it goes without this the worse it will get

If you must give it something to drink – only give drops onto the beak or use the crop tube to get fluids down the throat, don’t try and pour any fluid down a chickens throat, it will more than likely go into the air passage and into the lungs and end up drowning the bird

This will give the bird a large dose of Vitamin D, C and A

After 3 days cut back to once a day for 2 weeks, you should notice the difference in 3 or 4 days

Give other food also, chick crumbles, grower crumbles or layer pellets depending on the age of the bird etc
Also have fresh water at all times for the birds to drink in easy reach, remember it is not well so it may not go looking for the food and water, so put it just about under its nose so it can’t miss it 

xx
Wounds

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 18:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
Fox wounds and baldy butt!

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 19:09
by nic_28
xx
fighting

Started by bramford on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 07:24
by bramford
xx
fighting !!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 13:29
by hotterotter

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 28 queries.