multiple eggs

• 8 Replies

jaws

multiple eggs
« on: April 20, 2009, 20:22 »
My young hen is laying multiple eggs a day on most days. The shells are soft  or missing- probably because there is not enough calcium for the number of egg shells. This has been going on for 3 weeks. We have had the occasional single egg with a good shell.
Will she settle down to a normal egg laying pattern or has anyone heard of a hormone treatment to slow down "ovulation" - just a thought?
Thanks

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: multiple eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 21:19 »
I not saying that i know what to do but personally if it were me I would take her off layers pellets (which stimulate hens to lay) and keep her on greens, corn and limestone flour with a little protein such as fish kitten food! maybe she is just overstimulated, I no expert so i probably wrong!  ???
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaws

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:20 »
She must have heard me worrying about multiple eggs so yesterday she put them all together in one shell and layed the monster on the left. The egg on the right is the normal sized egg from the other hen and a pound for reference
I am still worried she may harm herself with laying too many or too large eggs
large egg3.JPG

jaws

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:12 »
And this is the contents of the large egg. Have other people had triple yolkers?
triple yolk.JPG

Vember

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:16 »
Wooowzers  :ohmy:

Hen's only have a set amount of eggs in them like us ladies :D So although passing eggies like that can't be very nice for her (bet her eye's watered :lol:) I think that what will happen is she will just stop laying at a younger age than the others.

Sarah :)

jaws

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:23 »
How do I slow her down?

As the two hens are together if I put them onto grain only would this affect the laying of the "normal" hen

My husband says it is beacuse my grandson named her Quack and she thinks she is a duck and layed this duck sized egg!!!

Vember

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:34 »
Quack :lol:

Going on to corn may effect the other hen :(
There are only 3 things that will stop a hen laying they are moulting, going broody and winter (and even them some don't stop :lol:)

I have never seen anything like what your describing continue for such a long time normally a week of weird eggs then they get into the swing of things.

Have you tried giving her some limestone powder mixed in her food to harden up the shells? Have they got access to oyster shell?

Sarah :)

jaws

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 12:53 »
Thanks for your suggestions

I have limestone flour, calcium tablets, crushed egg shell and they have constant access to oyster shell. I also have cod liver oil and poultry spice.
The hens get more suppliments that the humans do.

Every day is different. I am still hoping she will settle down to normal eggs one day
No chance of boredom. They are so affectionate and run to meet me when I get home from work (more than my husband does) if she never lays normal eggs she will remain as a pet.

jaws

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 23:29 »
Chicken lady.
Thanks for your advice. I am on holiday for a week now and a friend is going to chicken sit so I am not going to ask her to do anything complicated but when I get back I will segregate soft multi-layer and feed her corn, limestone, grit etc and see if that makes a difference. Perhaps when she starts getting it right reliably her body will continue when she is back on layer pellets.

Reading other topics, soft shell and other egg problems seems to be a common problem. This site is really supportive for us ineggsperienced newbies

xx
Multiple Ex Batt Questions

Started by toasttopper on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 15:36
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
wanted mandarin duck eggs and peacock eggs please - wales

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:00
by babe
xx
shell less eggs and partly shelled eggs

Started by symonep on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 19:42
by symonep

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 38 queries.