Best Weedkiller to buy ?

• 19 Replies

Helen_uk

Re: Best Weedkiller to buy ?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 16:28 »
Hi This might perhaps be a stupid question:

Half of our plot is now bedded and planted - Hurrah, but the other half is like a jungle and getting consistently worse.

Im going to have to resort to weedkiller - what do I do about protecting the stuff I've already got growing?
 :happy: ???

I'm a vegetable virgin! All advice offered very welcome!!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 17:48 »
Make 100% sure that the spray doesn't carry whilst you apply to the jungle. (You need to do this anyway, otherwise your neighbours won't thank you).

Some say to use a watering can + dribble-bar but I think that most just runs off the plants.

I use a knapsack sprayer set to a rough, rather than fine, spray - so it is less likely to carry. I hold the nozzle very close to the plants I am treating (rather than several feet above) and spray when there is no wind (the wind usually drops in the evening).

Careful where you walk afterwards - e.g. if your boots have got chemical on them avoid leaving dead-grass footprints across the lawn!

Weed k9illers like Glyphosate / Roundup are nutralised on contact with the soil, so won't "linger" - but check the instructions.

In he case of Glyphosate it is important that it doesn't rain for at least 6 hours (I think) after application.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 18:11 »
Weed k9illers like Glyphosate / Roundup are nutralised on contact with the soil, so won't "linger" - but check the instructions.

The manufacturers would say that wouldn't they
A lot of evidence shows incomplete breakdown, residues detected in crops and ground water, damage to soil invertibrates including worms, etc etc
Some countries have already banned Glyphosate, others are following.
People need to make more informed choices - a web search will give you plenty to think about
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 18:19 »
Half of our plot is now bedded and planted - Hurrah, but the other half is like a jungle and getting consistently worse.

Mmmm..........

Im going to have to resort to weedkiller - what do I do about protecting the stuff I've already got growing?
 :happy: ???

You could use a weed killer, but you don't have to. Many years ago when I had to deal with over grown bits, we just didn't even think weed killer. A rotary mower hacked it down, though I came across a scythe, and that was more fun. I was about 15 at the time. The mower kept things under control, and we just dug through the the weeds as and when.

I don't use WK now cos it costs money, and cos of what celjaci wrote about.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 18:27 »
If you wish to use weedkiller, then Kristen's advice is sound.  I use glyphosate (the active ingredient in roundup, but it's cheaper to use non-branded stuff, and also in the long-run to get it as concentrate rather than ready-mixed) to control certain weeds once or twice a season.  And follow the instructions  :D .

However, as the others have posted, if you are reluctant to use weedkiller, and are able and have the time to do so, an alternative could be to have a decent hack at the existing jungle to bring it down to ground-level-ish, then cover it with weed suppressant fabric, cardboard etc (NOT carpet), and tackle it as and when you can.

It really is your choice, good luck!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
weedkiller

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 23:12
by Salmo
xx
Weedkiller

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2015, 10:05
by mdjlucan
xx
What do you do once you used weedkiller?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 16:21
by splodger
xx
weedkiller

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:11
by tode

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 36 queries.