Tell me about growing cabbages and their relations

• 10 Replies

Christine

Tell me about growing cabbages and their relations
« on: April 19, 2009, 20:37 »
Look see I'm failing. My calabrese grew little heads last season and went to flower in 24 hours. My purple sprouting broccoli managed to get two plants with purple sprouts on. My January Kings were small! My spring cabbage (what survived the butterflies) is small and has tiny hearts.

The sum total of my knowledge is to plant them out in firm ground that has been composted but not manured and to water when the weather is dry.

No I do not have club root on the plot; yes I have composted the soil every season. It's a sunny site but the last two summers it hasn't drained well because of the rain and it's clay. Every one else can grow decent cabbages but me.

So let's start from the beginning. The calabrese and purple sprouting broccoli were sown straight into the ground and thinned out when big enough to handle. The cabbages were bought in. The person who bought me the spring cabbages has ones twice the size from the same batch of plants.  And he put manure in his soil before planting which I thought was norty.

So teach me about the cabbage family please.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Tell me about growing cabbages and their relations
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 20:41 »
This is my method, copied from a previous post.

This way ensures that the plant is going into the ground with a well established root system. I know you haven't got the problem, but it gives me a bit of an edge against club root.

Get some seed tray inserts - 20 to a half size tray. One seed per cell. Keep moist & you'll get nearly 100% germination.

When the first two proper leaves appear, pot on into 3" pots. grow on to about 6"-8" height & plant out in final position.

Makes a packet of seed last years. The Savoy I've sown this year say to use by 2004, but they're still OK.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 21:16 »
Manure is fine for brassicas, in fact it is recommended, in the preceeding Autumn, they also need an alkaline soil so lime may be needed a couple of weeks before sowing.  You can't manure and lime at the same time as they react apparently  :wacko:

Not that I'm an expert, this is my first attempt this year, but I do have John's book to hand  :D

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 21:19 »
What sort of planting distances did you use?

Bob

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 21:24 »
18" for things like cabbage, (cabbage mostly  :lol:), 2' for sprouts & 2'6" at least for sprouting brocolli.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 21:30 »
I will re-phrase my question  :)

What sort of planting distances did you use Christine ?

Bob

Christine

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 06:48 »
Enough for cabbages which still had small heads (any suggestions as to why?), not enough for purple sprouting broccoli (would this explain why one plant had heads and the one next to it not?) it would seem and possibly not enough for calabrese which went to flower almost instantly (suggestions please as to why).

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 07:37 »
It's just that Brassica's (If you want them to be full size plants rather than mini veg and it seems a bit daft trying to do something like a mini cauliflower) really need space from other Brassicas to behave properly (How we want them, rather than how they want to grow to just set seed).

I am using proper raised beds for the first time this year and I will be putting a lot of my veg in using much tighter spacings, but I wont do that with me Brassicas, however I will try where possible to put in other faster growing veg in the spaces to maximise yields.

Having said that, I don't claim to be an expert, so if someone else comes up with a better idea, it may pay to listen to them instead of me.

Bob

Highfield

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 09:11 »
How do you get round the very firm ground needed vs. raised "no dig" beds please for the brassicas?   Just finished my 100' x 4' longest raised bed(!!) but plan to put the brassicas in an undug other area for that reason... if it is possible to put them in the raised beds it would be good 'cos I got plenty of room  ::)

Off to put my spuds in ....

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 09:25 »
I walk on my newly dug brassica beds, if you dont want to do that (and it will be firm sooner or later if you are using a no dig method) then firm down around the plants as much as you can. You need to remove the air pockets in the whole bed
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 09:30 »
These are my Hispi cabbages in a raised bed.  It's also not a very deep one so results will be even better when it is.  They are 12" apart and hearting up nicely.  My new ones are going in at 9" apart, maybe less so I can harvest every other one first and let the rest heart up more.
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
growing cabbages from seed,what am I doing wrong?

Started by darren64 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 23:46
by flitwickone
xx
Here we go with the cabbages.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 09:35
by Hamani
xx
Cabbages

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 13:30
by splodger
clip
Cabbages

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2022, 09:08
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 36 queries.