problem with friends potatoes

• 22 Replies

philskin

problem with friends potatoes
« on: April 18, 2009, 14:06 »
Our friend as asked me to look at her potatoes that she has grown in containers ,they dont seem to be growing leaf

as any one seen anything like this ,all the plants are the same ,thanks for looking hope some one can advise cheers phil
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

DIGGER

Re: problem with friends potatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 14:13 »
When your friend asked you to look after them,was it April 1st

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 14:24 »
I assume your friend is definitely sure they are spuds?

Where are they being grown - looks as though there isn't enough space in each pot for the number of tubers, it's too warm for them so they've sprouted far too quickly, and no earthing up.

That's assuming they actually are spuds ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

philskin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 14:32 »
yes they really are spuds theres 2 in each pot ,i just cant fathom out how the leaves have turned out or not ,they are in a mixture of old manure and sandy soil

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 14:42 »
Apart from the previous things I mentioned - looks as though it's got very leggy and perhaps warm - does your friend know that the manure was free from aminopyralid?

This thread explains about a/p in some detail, but essentially it is a relatively new chemical which was used by some farmers on grass which found its way into manure - either by being eaten by animals, or used as silage for bedding.

Looking at the manufacturer's website, it warns that fernlike growth on new shoots can be a symptom of a/p damage:

http://www.manurematters.co.uk/gardening.htm

I suspect that this might be a possible cause.  If so, I think there's not much hope of a normal spud crop from the affected plants.

Has the manure been used in previous years with no ill effects?  This might suggest that actually it's not the cause of the problem.

If it is the problem, it will also affect tomatoes and beans in particular.  The manure matters website has further info too.

philskin

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 14:47 »
the manure is from there brothers farm and they have always used it with no problems ,I myself have got it on my garden and in my spuds everything looks ok here. they have got there spuds in the greenhouse so perhaps youve hit the nail on the head before ,could be to warm you think

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 14:55 »
I've never seen such damage so I really am guessing, but long leggy growth in other plants often does mean too much warmth and/or not enough light.

TBH, your friend really isn't growing spuds in the right way as there isn't any capacity to earth up in those pots, which are far too small.  I'm not sure what to suggest to remedy the situation - I assume there's no room to plant them out in the soil?

peterjf

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 15:03 »
your friend cannot be serious about growing spuds in those pots,

1 seed potato needs at least 2 square foot of space to develope , has your friend ever read , gone on line about growing things , lets be realistic about this ,

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 15:07 »
Peter, it is right that we all have to start learning somewhere, and sometimes learn by making mistakes - but it would perhaps be more constructive to offer advice on the originally posted question, rather than insult the OP's friend
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 15:08 by Yorkie1 »

philskin

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 15:46 »
yes my friend isnt one of the pc crowd she told me a while ago she was having potatoes in containers but because i was up to my eyes in jobs here i didnt think to tell her about size depth etc ,so i feel bad about it should of made the time i will try to find some big containers but most of mine are already planted with my spuds ,never mind will help her some how thanks everyone

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 17:25 »
If you or she can lay your hands on empty compost bags (75L) it might just be worth putting a couple of spuds in there, earthing them up significantly and seeing what happens - nothing ventured etc.  There's quite a few older posts about growing spuds in bags, rolling the sides up gradually as you earth up etc etc if you use the search facility

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 17:30 »
Does look like hormone weedkiller, if it was not in the manure could it have come from somewhere else?
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

SG6

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 17:32 »
Phil, delicate position. I have spuds in some pots, use ones that about the 36-40cm size from Wilkinsons. Presently doing a 3 for 2 offer on their pots. They would be pretty good for 2 spuds. Would they mind if you bought a couple/three for them?

Could say that you have just recalled that spuds need earthing up and so need a fair sized pot for container growing.

If you have something similar I suggest that you and friend move their spuds into something like that. Say 3 ins compost below then add spuds as is then add compost to cover about 1/2 - 3/4 of the present growth. A little fertiliser would help also.

After that hope that the situation improves. But remember to keep earthing up if and as they grow.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 18:06 »
I have spuds that have done the same thing, the differance is mine are spuds stored in dry compost sitting in the shed that I have not got round to planting your friends spuds do really need to be planted in bigger pots.

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 18:46 »
Whatever are you going to tell your friend?

Looks very typical of aminopyralid symptoms, or a related chemical. The manure must be the prime suspect. Yorkie is right that they will never produce a crop.

clip
problem potatoes

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 20:17
by bravemurphy
xx
potatoes problem yet again!!

Started by davel831 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 16:31
by sunshineband
xx
problem with potatoes

Started by janmacca on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 01:09
by Paul Plots
xx
i have a problem, looks like my potatoes have blight

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 22:01
by shaun

Page created in 0.934 seconds with 37 queries.