right ammount?

• 16 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
right ammount?
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:53 »
just wondering if i have grown enough, How much of everything is enough to feed a family of 3...plus a bit extra for freezing...

just roughly i have growing -

Savoy cabbage approx 5 -  more planted in trays
Broccoli - 5
Leeks  - loads  :D
peas / mangetout 1 row of each with more in seed tray
sweetcorn -  planted 5 at the moment, about how many do you get per plant?
Tomatos -  5 bush plants and 6 others
Sweet peppers - 5 plants
Runner beans - 12 plants
courgette - 2 plants
Pumpkin -  2 plants
Butternut - not planted yet

do i need to plant anymore of anything?

iwantanallotment

Re: right ammount?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 12:09 »
Maybe more sweetcorn, runners and broccoli?

re sweetcorn it varies, I had 2 cobs per plant last year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 12:09 »
just wondering if i have grown enough, How much of everything is enough to feed a family of 3...plus a bit extra for freezing...

Broccoli - 5
Sweet peppers - 5 plants
Runner beans - 12 plants
courgette - 2 plants
Pumpkin -  2 plants

You'll need more than 5 cabbage and certainly more sweetcorn. You may get 2 per plant, but it can vary.

Don't know how long your rows of peas are, but you can expect, with a good yield, just a lb of peas per foot of row.

Tomatoes should be OK, but in my opinion there's an imbalance between the peppers & runner beans, (not enough beans!).

Courgette & pumpkin should be OK.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 12:16 »
For a family of 3 and for freezing, most of your quantities are nowhere near enough - I'd suggest 3 or more times more.  Definitely sow more sweetcorn - 5 are totally inadequate (you'll get at least one good cob, and depending of variety 2-5 more of smaller size - the smallest just being a few kernels) but the main reason you need more is to ensure good fertilisation (they are wind pollinators)  - try sowing the entire packet in one go (so they all mature at the same rate for the seed heads to shed pollen at the same time)

The best way to work out an approximate is to imagine when you go shopping and how many you would buy for the week, and over the weeks they are available.  If you do too many, let me assure you that you'll never be short of people eager to take your surplus!  First year of growing your own is all experimental anyway and good experience to work out the following year whether you need more or less.  I'm sure there'll be plenty of others who can advise you.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 12:34 »
I work out mine on how much I would buy a month, for example I use two caulies a month, so I grow 30 (to be on the safe side)
Peas I grow as many as I can get away with and one row(Im assuming it isnt a mile long row!) is nowhere near enough for me let alone a family of 3

You get about 2 sweetcorn a plant so you need more than 5
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:37 »
I grow about 200' of peas on the principle that some make it home. :nowink:

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 13:30 »
I would also suggest some salad leaves/radishes etc if you like them.  Another thing you might consider a row of is perpetual spinach.  Really easy, high yield and lasts throughout the winter.  Mine that I sowed in July last year is still going strong and we have had carrier bags of it!

Yabba

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 18:58 »

Broccoli - 5
Sweet peppers - 5 plants
Runner beans - 12 plants
courgette - 2 plants
Pumpkin -  2 plants

To feed 2 ... although we may have a few leftovers ;)

24' of brassicas ( cabbage greyhound && rouge tete noir, quick heading calabrese, summer purple sprouting broccoli ) sowing successionaly
2 * 12' rows of peas ( honest DD I'd have more but you've seen my space ;) )
2* 12' rows of sugar snaps
26' onions ( from seed : red baron, ailsa craigs, bedfordshire champions, from sets : urm ... sturtons I think :tongue2: ) ++ successional sowing of spring onions along edge of bed
3 sisters bed : 2 * 7 ft broad beans ( super aqualduce ), 3' successional sowing of beetroot ( pronto ), 20' sweetcorn ( true gold ) && 20' runner beans - not all sown yet as it's a smidge early, 2 * butternut squash, 4 * courgette
15' Tomatoes ( galina, gold medal, rose de berne )
15' chillis ( urm, lost count at the number of varieties, couple of plants of each )
3 * 15' spuds ( pentland javelin ), to be followed by the odd leek .. or 300 :tongue2:
100 or so parsnips and 10' of carrots ( not that I like either but the Mighty V loves them )
5 * (each) melons, aubergine, cucumber

Intercropped
Radish, lettuce, pak choi

At home :
Lots of herbs
Garlic ( thermidrome )
Shallots ( urm .. will need to find the label :D )
Egyptian Walking Onions ( kindly donated :D )
Paris silverskin
More radish, pak choi & lettuce
Asparagus
Runner beans ( when it gets warmer )

Mind you, we like veg :D

¥
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 19:00 by Yabba »

SG6

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 07:34 »
Since sweetcorn need to be grown in blocks for pollnation I would have thought that 5 would give poor pollination and so a lower crop. You may get 2 per plant but I would bet on 1. So I think that you would need to increase these significantly, but for that you need space :( :( Also owing to the pollination you cannot really stagger sweetcorn to crop at different times.

There is one of me and I can munch my way through 2-3 broccoli a month. I have planted 10 and that is just so I don't (hopefully) have to buy as much as normal. So 5 for a family of 3 is again I guess too few. Unless I end up buried under broccoli. :D :D

No idea about cabbage as 1 cabbage is more then I have eaten in the past years, just don't know what to do with themn nor do I really like them. ??? ???

If they grow fine for you then I would also have gone with a few more peppers. Mine have never really grown as I would have hoped so the cropping has been down. So little point in planting lots of what don't grow. :wub: :wub:

A lot depends on how much your family tend to eat.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:09 »
Also owing to the pollination you cannot really stagger sweetcorn to crop at different times.

I beg to differ there.

There's no reason why you can't plant two staggered blocks, or two blocks of a different variety with different cropping lengths, away from each other.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 12:16 »
That's what I did last year - a block of an early variety and another of a later variety - the later ones were ready after the earlies had finished, giving a much longer cropping period  :)
I'd never tried homegrown sweetcorn before, and the difference between that and the stale stuff in supermarkets is immense, everyone who tried some said the same.
You're going to love it soooo much sazzy, I'd really recommend you plant several more  :)

JRRD

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 13:33 »
God knows I don't know much in the way of answers on this forum, but.... I do have experience to pass on regarding the courgettes and pumpkins.

Whilst ultimately 2 plants of each is all you may choose to need. I seem to always have a heavy casualty rate.
Either due to non germination ,breaking of the stems in the wind, breakin of stems when transplanting and then some keeling over after transplanting
In the allotment last year I ended up with
1 yellow courgette (5 sown)
3 green courgette (10 sown)
3 pumpkin              (7 sown)

So sow more than you need I say (perhaps i am a bit rubbish with them, but I do like growing them)

iwantanallotment

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 13:43 »
Good sense JRRD, and it's alway nice to give away the spares, too  :)
Welcome to the forums, by the way!

shaun

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 14:31 »
no spuds or onions ?? :wacko:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

garddwr

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 16:00 »
no spuds or onions ?? :wacko:

or carrots parsnips or beetroot ?

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 36 queries.