Sweetcorn sprouting

• 16 Replies

Remy

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn sprouting
« on: April 17, 2009, 17:28 »
Hi,
I've tried the moist paper towel method of sprouting sweetcorn & to my amazement it seem to have worked. Now I'm not to sure what to do. Some of the sweetcorn have sprouted but I've notice a spider web like substance has develloped around the seeds as well. Is that normal or are they starting to rot?

Here's a picture of it, not very good but I hope some of you can help.
DSC00175.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn sprouting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 17:38 »
You have to gently put them into pots (can be paper ones) with the little roots pointing down. Be careful not to break the roots off! Then cover over with a little more compost, and water with tepid water (they don't appreciate a cold shower :lol:)
If they are somewhere warm it doesn't take them long to show above the compost. mine were next day :)

Sorry not sure about the cob webby thingy...........

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 17:44 »
Ok thanks will do that

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 18:55 »
I did exactly what mumofstig says 2 weeks ago.  I had a little of that mould but just wiped it off gently.  I now have 20 sweetcorn plants that are about 5" tall in the growhouse ready to go on the plot soon.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 19:32 »
I don't go by this method because sweetcorn doesn't like to be messed about with.  So I sow mine in root-trainers or, just as effective, the plastic water cups, the bigger the better (the large ones, I plant 3 seeds to a pot).  When they have grown to about 6" (which mine have), I just wait for the risk of frost to go, and I will plant straight out in my plot.   At the moment, they're in the greenhouse waiting to go into the ground.  All I'm doing is watering them.  They are quite happy.  So at the most, they get moved once, instead of more than twice. :).  By the way I've planted 50, and lost one.
Babs

sheridal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 19:52 »
How long after setting up the sweetcorn in the paper towels did you leave it before checking on them, I have just set mine up

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 20:03 »
Check them daily, if kept warm they sprout very quickly, and you want to pot them before the little roots get too long, cos then they break easily. :(
about half of mine germinated at first,so i potted these on.... i gave the rest another couple of days and after that...the ones that hadn't germinated got thrown away.

All you're doing really is finding out which seeds will germinate so you don't waste compost and space on the duds :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 20:09 »
I don't go by this method because sweetcorn doesn't like to be messed about with. 

I'm trying it this year. I don't think the plant knows much about being "messed about" when it's only at the chit stage.

If it's then potted up into a bio-degradable pot of whatever sort and planted out at due time, it's not being disturbed at all. As commented, this saves your compost & post by not planting non- viable seed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 21:10 »
I don't go by this method because sweetcorn doesn't like to be messed about with. 

I'm trying it this year. I don't think the plant knows much about being "messed about" when it's only at the chit stage.

If it's then potted up into a bio-degradable pot of whatever sort and planted out at due time, it's not being disturbed at all. As commented, this saves your compost & post by not planting non- viable seed.

Does this mean i actually said something sensible for a change :wub:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 21:13 »
There's a first time for everything!

Yabba

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 22:06 »
Mine just got slapped in a plug tray and then potted on when they germinated ( about 90% germination ) and had grown a smidge, they're currently residing in an unheated greenhouse and staring vehemently at the new batch that I've just put in ;)

This is them last week .. haven't half grown in the last few days .... almost June though eh? :D

¥

rideandy

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 21:44 »
I just planted 15 today in vending cups, never grown before.
how long before I should see them?
They are behind glass in me shed
Cheers

ravenaround

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 21:48 »
I just planted 15 today in vending cups, never grown before.
how long before I should see them?
They are behind glass in me shed
Cheers

Very very fast.. I saw mine a inch tall within a week with about a 85% germination rate.

rideandy

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 21:55 »
Great
Thanks

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 22:59 »
I've potted around thirty over the last week, some are up and thriving , others haven't done anything.
I'm worried that if the others don't germinate then I won't have enough for cross pollination further down the line.
I've put some more in a Tupperware box tonight to chit them, should I just start again or would any new ones catch up with the others? (obviously this is my first time of growing corn). 

xx
My purple sprouting broccoli isn't sprouting

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 10:11
by Grubbypaws
xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli - sprouting already - too soon?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 10:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Sprouting

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 10:35
by NavyD
xx
PSB sprouting?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 14:07
by tosca100

Page created in 1.249 seconds with 39 queries.