sick girl

• 51 Replies

nicchick

• Experienced Member
Re: sick girl
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2009, 22:20 »
Hi, the symptoms you were describing sound very similiar to my mates hen who I brought home and was lucky enough to get to a poultry vet. She was brilliant and examined the bird instead of just guessing and found a tumour that she thought was affecting her breathing. I asked her to put her to sleep as she reckoned that she would only have a couple more weeks.
All you can do is observe and learn and when your girls are ill you can pick it up quickly. It's tough when you have times like this, it will get better. Nic.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 22:34 »
Brian said you can get starter fluid over here, it's called Easy Start, and is the same thing!  No good if you smoke though Looby!

I am sorry about your little girly, but you really can't let them suffer.  I also am terrible.  Even when I had a chick that was deformed, I kept her, but when she got a bit bigger, all she could do was walk around in a circle and I had to keep putting the food and water in front of her.  Brian was busy this particular day, and I couldn't let her go on like that, knowing she would never walk properly, so I took her into the shed and used the wall dispatcher that Brian got last year. 

It upset me terribly, but I have had to do a few chicks too, and now I know how to do it, it's easier.  not pleasant but easier.

Brian said if you need to do the deed again, but don't feel confident breaking the neck properly, get a broom handle, place the chickens neck underneath it, put your feet either side of the broom handle to hold it down and pull the bird upwards quickly.  It will break the neck very quickly.  Upsetting, but necessary .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 22:47 »
Good advice from Brian.  Tell him thanks Grannie !

raeburg

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 22:52 »
Sorry to hear this Looby.  At least she's not suffering now and has had a better life with you than she ever had of.

poultrygeist

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 22:52 »
If ever I need to do it, I'll be on the phone to Brian 1st. Can't beat sound advice when there's something needs doing.

Rob

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 23:53 »
Well done for doing the right thing by your girl.

This is an anonymous quote I remember from a long time ago about assisted suicide that has really stayed with me over 10 years:

" Do what you dare, and then a little more, and then mourn your friend with pride because you did not let her down when she needed you most."
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

karlooben

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2009, 06:22 »
Well done for doing the right thing by your girl.

This is an anonymous quote I remember from a long time ago about assisted suicide that has really stayed with me over 10 years:

" Do what you dare, and then a little more, and then mourn your friend with pride because you did not let her down when she needed you most."

wow thats so spot on an very touching , think i need to remember that .

thankyou for the broomhandle idea i know i need to toughen up so much more .

my other girl although shes eating an looks very bright still obviously cant stand so when this experienced guy turns up this morning i will get him to guide me though it all properly an to make sure i am doing it the right way ,will let you know how i get on .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
old sick girl

Started by LisaB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 16:19
by Aunt Sally
xx
got my sick girl back

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 15:47
by karlooben
xx
sad girl

Started by caroline or on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 13:47
by Rubellite
xx
Girl or boy?

Started by symonep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 12:22
by symonep

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.