DIY USB Desktop Greenhouse Experiment - chilli growing

• 42 Replies

jonny_tinslecat

Re: DIY USB Desktop Greenhouse Experiment - chilli growing
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 21:14 »
cheers for putting me in the right section! (i never did know where i was supposed to stand!)

I have seen that a few do have more of a purple look to them, so a mix of the red and blue may be in order.

If i can get my hands on some more pots of the same size i will make some more rigs up - and maybe not run them from the usb (a bit gimmicky maybe - but hey it was only to waste a bit of time!). i have some red superbrights on order now, so they should be with me soon enough, and i'll have a play about.

I have read that with general growth the blue light only should make very close, tight plants - very compact, whereas with the red, they will be quite tall and leggy. but flower quickly. i wonder whether there could be an optimum point to swap from the pure blue to the red?!?!? - i sound like a mad proffessor - it was only started today as a whimsical way to get away from working!

I have to show you a pic of the naga under the blue light with no other lights on, how devious does it look?

Life is a Garden...........................................Dig it!

jonny_tinslecat

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 21:15 »
My hubby has got an asbestos gob, so it's got to be all the hot ones that I grow.. ::) :lol:

dorset naga's are the best thing to solve that problem! ive a mate from brum that laps up pharl's like they are made of cream, but he was crying when he had one of my Nagas last year!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 21:32 »

I have to show you a pic of the naga under the blue light with no other lights on, how devious does it look?

8) something out of Quatermass  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

jonny_tinslecat

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 21:33 »
dont know that - but i'm expecting the plant out of little shop of horrors in the morning

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 21:38 »
dont know that - but i'm expecting the plant out of little shop of horrors in the morning

:lol: showing my age BGRN39oifsE

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 09:28 »
If we never hear from Jonny agains, we'll know why........  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 09:33 »
Only just seen this topic jonny!  Neat idea!  If youever pass a plant nursery t night, they always seem to have orange lights on.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 09:40 »
Only just seen this topic jonny!  Neat idea!  If youever pass a plant nursery t night, they always seem to have orange lights on.
Could that be so you can see if anyone is in there who shouldn't be? .Orange light is opposite blue on the spectrum so might be a way of us being able to see but plants having 'darkness' -- just an idea and it might be rubbish  ::)

jonny_tinslecat

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 16:23 »
Orange light has very little effect on plant growth. i found this geeky chart showing levels of absorbtion relative to light frequency.

you can clearly see that it is the red and blue that have most absorbtion. someone even mentioned in the article, that the green light is reflected, which gives the leaves its green colour - i dont know if that is right though!?!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 20:00 »
Yes it is right -- that is how our eyes distinguish colour, by the frequency of reflected light. Seems as though orange light might be the equivalent of giving plants a break form photosynthesis then  :D
Love the chart - very informative!!

Fruity

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 22:37 »
Very interesting. If you haven't done so already, you should rig up some controls that don't have the LEDs.

*edit* I see you have some windowsill controls. Perhaps you should have some pots with red, green and blue LEDs in them? (I mean every type in one jar)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 22:42 by Fruity »

jonny_tinslecat

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 09:24 »
when they arrive i will have some red LED's to include, so 1 purely red, one purely blue, and one mix of red and blue.

I dont see much point in doing the green light one - that seems to be pretty conclusive that it wont work!

Riala

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36 »
I would also get in touch with someone about getting this 'design' of a USB Greenhouse copyrighted/patented and start selling on a grand scale!

I am serious, there are more and more people turning to gardening these days, and this would be perfect for heavy PC users like we are in this household.

Bringing the garden to our desk!

jonny_tinslecat

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 09:54 »
yeh, i thought of that, as i have a degree in industrial design - and thought it would be a good little project.
Unfortunatelly it seems that i'm not the only one to have this idea, and there a couple already on the market (albeit imo they look very cheap and nasty!)
i totally hadnt seen them before - the usb bit just struck me as i needed a 5v powersupply, and eyeballed a redundant usb lead. i think there is probably a market for a nicer looking one certainly.

Over the weekend i had a look at a few hydroponics setups on Indestructables - good website for little projects. a lot of people seem to be using these new 3w LED's! i didnt even know they existed - the light these things give out is immense! the only drawback is that they do produce a fair bit of heat.

i had the thought that if you used a liqudi coolong system (simular to what you see in high end gaming pc's to cool the processor) then you could utillise the spare heat as a "waterbath" effect under the plants to stabilise night time temperatures.

maybe one thats worth looking into!

Riala

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 10:16 »
*eyes up her PC's cooling system*

Hey!! I should just stick a plant inside my PC!! hahaaha, there are lights in there, a fan, even a glass side so I can watch it grow!

xx
My new greenhouse

Started by noshed on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2018, 13:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Greenhouse - which one ?

Started by scentedstock on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 17:26
by Lee1978
xx
Where To Put The Greenhouse

Started by Milly on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 18:52
by Milly
xx
DIY Greenhouse

Started by mum2many on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 22:12
by noshed

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 36 queries.