Getting away well...

• 3 Replies

comic_muse

Getting away well...
« on: May 27, 2006, 10:56 »
Well everythings getting away well down the Ground, so I thought I'd post a couple of pics.......it's a 50yd x 10yd allotment, old ground adjacent to a disused Railway line.  It has been 'gardened' for around 80 years as allotment, managed by the Parish Council.  When I took it on last year it was a jungle, 'wild' Grape Vines, a pollarded Ash "grove".....nettles, some Mares Tail, Thistles, Bryony, ......ground compacted like 'concrete'....full of old Horticultural glass shards....nightmare.

Hopefully you'll see the difference.  The Unofficial bit is my mates piece next door....he's kept that sprayed & I turned it over in the 'dry' winter we had by hand & it's come up a treat.  He's not in the best of health so not up to cleaning it, but he has a couple of row's of earlies in, & my excess maincrops are half way down.

The 'other' piece is next door the other side, I've just got the girl who has it to agree to 'split' the tenancy with me, I've got to clean it & will have 2/3rds, albeit on a 50/50 tenancy, but I'll be putting it down to flowers; & salads in moveable beds.

My main piece is split 50/50 beds & open ground, all very new being in it's first season, but digging it over by hand & getting the weed roots out has paid dividends.  

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g305/comic_muse/TheLongView.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g305/comic_muse/Toptobottom.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g305/comic_muse/Unofficialbit.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g305/comic_muse/Thenewbitgulp.jpg
......straight lines are for tidy minded people.....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Getting away well...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:29 »
I think you enjoy hard work!

Still, it is satisfying when you improve something.

What always amazes me is when someone comes onto a plot, does all the really hard graft and then loses interest. I've seen this a couple of times now and just can't figure it out.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

comic_muse

Getting away well...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 12:13 »
..ahh...well, I can help you with one answer to that question, having "had to" give up a piece of ground about 7 years ago, which I had cleared from similar 'near Jungle' propotions.  We moved to a house in need of renovation !! :(   Something had to 'give' & although we had only moved about 5 miles from the ground, the 'tie' wasn't quite there.  Now in another place, back in the Village I grew up in, I've just retired (young) & the 'garden' is about 200 yards away.  Mind you....I have just been co-opted onto the Playing Field 'mowing' team & had the Vicar round asking me to take on the Church-yard.  makes a change from my old job......mainly because I'll be doing it for the excercise !!  Not quite sure when that second piece of ground will be clean !! :roll:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Getting away well...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 12:27 »
When we moved back to the UK we thought it would be good to buy a place to do up. Budding property developers :)
One place we looked at had a guide price at auction of 30K. Looking at it I realised it needed a new roof, new floor and the bit inbetween needed replacing so even as a free gift I couldn't see it being profitable. It went for 120K at auction.
Had about three others that were similar then we came across this house. 1970's (which I don't like), Estate (which I don't like) and apart from the kitchen in very good order.  Daft thing is we really like it here and the cats love it too. Plus the lotty is 2 minutes walk away :)

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 29 queries.