Shed or Proper made coop? Positives and Down falls

• 21 Replies

Roughlee Handled

Shed or Proper made coop? Positives and Down falls
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:07 »
OK so I have now got to the stage where I need a bigger coop.  Do I ....

A. Purchase a shed and convert it to keeping hens.

Or

B. Build a purpose built coop.

I am looking at housing 15 hens  OK 20 hens max.

I was thinking about this
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/BillyOh-Value-8-x-6-Tongue-and-Groove-Apex
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Re: Shed or Proper made coop? Positives and Down falls
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 13:03 »
How scarily timely this is. As I write the email purchasing my shed has just left cyberspace  ::)

After three weeks debate and financial juggling I decided I just couldn't afford a purpose made house. I am housing 13 birds and have gone for a plain 6x4 shed. £145 delivered to my door. I will replace the windows with pierced galanvanised sheet. Cut out a pophole and make a hinged drawbridge with good solid bolts to fasten. Going for home made inside nest boxes on two levels and as much roosting pole as I can fit in.

Okay so it's a bit of bother but there is no urgency to get the work completed and the henhouse I really wanted was several times this amount of money.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

raeburg

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 13:07 »
I'd go for that and do the mods.  You'll only get more chickens now you have an incubator :)  How are the legbars doing?  Mine are now getting their crests and are growing nicely.  Tomorrow they go into the big dog cage in the shed rather than the little dog cage in the house.  Don't suppose you want a legbar boy to go with your girls ;)

Caralou

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 13:12 »
I have two arcs at present and am converting my old shed for space now the polands are getting bigger. I have some left over laminate which will be used on the floor as the shed base is past it's best. It aready has a pop hole - I cut one in for the feral cats to have shelter in there - they moved straight in the house so it's been sitting empty for a couple of months now. I couldn't afford a purpose built and I am enjoying planning making the shed into a new larger home for them with the task of reusing and recycling so no money spent, It'll keep me busy!

There are plans on here for building your own coop and converting - well worth a look at.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 13:23 »
Getting ready to put the first batch out side in the next couple of weeks nearly all feathered up!!!!!!! They can fly  and clear a foot an a half at the moment!!!!!!!!!!

raeburg

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 13:44 »
Getting ready to put the first batch out side in the next couple of weeks nearly all feathered up!!!!!!! They can fly  and clear a foot an a half at the moment!!!!!!!!!!

Flighty little things aren't they.  The orpies were never like that.  Waiting for the wyandottes to hatch now :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 13:50 »
Rrr I have Some "Foxy" chicks in my incy!!!!!! I mean Faverolles and some Dorking (again) and some Marans.  6 of each. 

Caralou

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 13:54 »
My polands are also really flighty, cant believe how much height they can make now! Thankfully their adoptive silkie mum keeps them under control. Still not got anyone wanting to take the extra 2boys and 2girls off me yet, I'll have to nudge in swap shop I think.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 13:57 »
I would be willing to take the girls, but I better wait till these hatch just to see what I get!!!!

Caralou

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 14:07 »
I'd give it another 4 weeks anyway before taking to new homes - just to make sure my sexing is correct! They'll be 9 weeks oldish by then. They are looking wonderful though - such amazing colours, the girl's heads are lovely and my gold laced is going to be a frizzle by the looks of it as well  :D

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 16:30 »
Having bought an Eglu when we first got our girls, with hindsight - i would now go for a plain shed and do the mods myself.  I quickly built a bigger run and now look at it and think to myself - Wow, what i could've done with that if I knew what i know now  back then.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 16:37 »
I know what you mean.  I bought a proper built to last (started rotting till I fettled it with some good preservative.) coop.  In hind sight I could have got  2 cheep sheds.  But live and learn.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 20:49 »
since last oct and hubby let me have the 6 x 5 foot playhouse which i added 2 external nest boxes to, i would go for the shed every time!  :D just need him to say yes to an incubator now?  :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matilda duck

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 21:28 »
We converted the shed that we have had for 10 years and it was old when we had it!!!!!!  All been re-felted ,windows slightly blacked out. 8)

Last weekend we added another door to the side and split it up......  wire mesh screen in the middle.....The chickens have the front into their run, and the ducks have the new side door into the garden.  Works for us!!!!!!   :wub:
We just use the one that cost over £200 already made for quarenteen as thats about all its good for certainly no good for 9 chickens!!!!! :unsure:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 12:51 »
Now I was going for this shed.
Its a 6*4 pre treated shed, Yes it has a 10 year garrentee.  I am sure the mods I would have to do and the keeping of chickens would invalidate it anyway.
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/BillyOh-Lincoln-Tongue-and-Groove-Apex-8-x-6#heading-product-sizes

But I have found this for and extra £50
It is untreated but WOW
8' x 6' (2.40x1.80m) Traditional Special Saver Apex Shed its all T & G and its 1mm thicker.  The floor and the roof are T&G!!!!!!
http://www.shedstore.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/tra86ssa

xx
has anyone made a coop out of old recycled pallets if so have yo got a picture?

Started by clare99d on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 14:30
by Nails
xx
Shed - Coop

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 16:33
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Plastic shed for a coop?

Started by jools68 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 09, 2016, 13:24
by grinling
xx
shed to chicken coop

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 16:06
by evie2

Page created in 0.876 seconds with 37 queries.