Run Surface...

• 32 Replies

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Run Surface...
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 16:01 »
as long as they have something to dustbathe in they'll be happy!!
our run is mainly soil, but with big slabs.
i wouldn't worry about covering the slabs, Rozlyn, if you've given them a grassed area too (believe me, their scratching in the dirt will cover the slabs anyway!!!)
 :lol:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 16:05 »
You need at least 1 square metre = 10.7 square feet per bird.  But in reality its not enough I would work at double that.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Rozlynmac

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 16:09 »
Thank you Andreadon, that's handy to know.

And Roughlee Handled, thank you for those figures. If I've got my overall measurements right that should mean that I have more than enough space for 3 chickens to be perfectly happy.

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 16:19 »
Personally I would avoid using bark chippings as they do not break down so well.  I use Hemcore or Medibed which i get from my local farm shop at around £6 a bale.  I find one bale will last at least 4 to 6 weeks.  it is then great for composting.

As for the feed, get them onto layers pellets asap. My ex-batts were on mash when we got them but so much was going to waste, we put them on pellets within a week and it's much tidier these days. They may turn their nose up intially, so mix some pellets with the corn etc and they won't notice they're eating it until it's too late and you can just give the corn as a treat in the evenings.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 16:29 »
it was heart-breaking watching ours try to eat the pellets - they had the top beaks missing and every time they went to grab one, it just fell straight out!
they are fine with big food now, but it was about 3 or 4 months before they could manage more than a couple of pieces (and even that took ages !!)

It's now a combination of slabbed area - which I hope to put the house on, with grass around. The whole area is about 9" x 10". I have sheepdogs, so sadly can't let the chickens have free run of the garden. I'm only planning on 3 chickens max as I want them to have as much space as possible.The slabs total approximately 16 sq st of the total area.

your measurements are: (and i'm assuming you mean 9' by 10' (cos " means inches  :lol: :tongue2: )  2.77m X 3.08m = 8.52 m sq.  so you're fine for 3 or 4.
actually, it's about the same size as the run we've got. (maximum density was 4 - it's now back down to 3)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 17:04 by andreadon »

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 16:41 »
We use wood chips in our run and they really make clean-up of calling cards a bother.  Am gradually replacing it with Easibed.  We covered our run with corregated clear plastic.  It lets the sun in nicely but not the rain.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Sassy

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 08:36 »
The shettler feeder looks good - that's the sort of thing I had in mind, although with some attachment to the run itself - they try to destroy everything bless em!

I'm definately considering the bark option... probably not a bad idea to put stones down too....... thanks!!

I hang my feeder in the run as they don't tip it up or poo in it then!

If you put stones under your bark it will alleviate it becoming muddy as the bark sits on a firmer base. It works in the gateways of fields where cows, horses are grazed and tend to congregate.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 10:17 »
Our run is aprox 4' (at narrowest) by 30 foot with 7 chooks! we are lucky that the run is under 2 huge laurel trees so provides shelter from sun and rain but can still get a bit soggy in places! we have just soil, stones and bark chips down which works well for us we fork it over regularly too and will need to lime it soon as they have been on it for over 6 months! liming stops the soil from going sour! (smelly) will be asking for help on how to do it cause cant keep the girls off for the suggested time after!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rozlynmac

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 13:12 »
your measurements are: (and i'm assuming you mean 9' by 10' (cos " means inches  :lol: :tongue2: )  2.77m X 3.08m = 8.52 m sq.  so you're fine for 3 or 4.
actually, it's about the same size as the run we've got. (maximum density was 4 - it's now back down to 3)

Well spotted! Yes it was ' I meant. I will re-measure properly this evening. I wouldn't have more than 3 anyway, regardless of the space. I have read elsewhere that chickens should be kept as 3 minimum anyway as otherwise there's potential for loneliness if 1 were to die. Seems logical but I dunno if it was just someone trying to bump up sales. Would 2 be ok alone?
(that's changing subject now isn't it!)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 16:25 »
2 will be okay alone - i think aunt sally has two - and we had 2 as well for a while (this makes me sound like a very careless chicken keeper...  :unsure: )

always best to start with the amount you want to continue with, because it's quite tricky to introduce hens into the flock (well, it never seems so in hindsight, but it can be horrid while they all peck at each other)

grumpydad

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 19:27 »
we have a roof on the run, the feeder and water hang from the roof beams, so they can be lifted at night, i have bark down, which they love to scratch in, a couple of piles of wood, which we turn over so they can get at the bugs, and i use the hose most nights to ash it down, and water in any poo i have missed collecting, seems to work well

martyn

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 22:44 »
I have a covered run, recently moved and extended, will post a pic at the end.  It has a soil floor with wood chip and some gravel on top.  Don't use bark as it contains nasty spores that can cause repiritory problems.  I am using Stalosan F on the floor as this disinfects and kills everything even worm and fly eggs. 

I use a large pot dog dish for feed placed on some stones so they can't get their feet in it to tip over.  Plenty of food in it for 4 hens and it's deep so less spillage!  They free range in the afternoons when we are around.  And there is a dustbath from an old planter they adopted, youo may be able to see everything in there.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 22:48 »
WOW! that is a fab chookie dess ress there  :happy: so can i use that stalosan instead of liming the soil? and if so where do i get some from?

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 10:56 »
is that piece of guttering in there a swing?
that's brilliant!!

actually, talking of guttering, you want to put some along the bottom of your roof: valuabel rain water!  :D

Wyandottie

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 11:06 »
I was interested to read Smiler's comments about not using bark on the run floor because of nasty spores.  I did choose bark for the floor of my run, which I got from a local garden centre - it was actually Play Bark - intended for children's play areas.  I assumed if it was ok for kiddies then it would be fine for the chooks - however, I am aware that kiddies don't go nosing around in it!  I would be grateful for any other comments on this as I don't want my girls to become unwell.

xx
Type of surface

Started by BigMark on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 19:28
by chickenlady
xx
Chicken run surface

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 10:09
by mamashango184
xx
Chicken Poo & Run surface & Mulch on Gardeners’ Question Time

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 20:11
by nicchick
question
Rain,rain and more......what is the best surface to keep chickens on?

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 21:13
by Sopho

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.