Cheshunt Compound

• 10 Replies

djbnat

Cheshunt Compound
« on: April 13, 2009, 20:02 »
Hi all
I have bought some Cheshunt Compount as I have some seedlings damping off, but I read that it can also benefit Bonsai Trees by deterring root rot. I water my Bonsai from the bottom reservoir tray but Cheshunt is usually applied from above as a "compost wash", so my question is will it still be effective if applied to the Bonsai from its reservoir tray?
Regards
DJB
Regards
DJB

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Cheshunt Compound
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 21:21 »
"I have bought some Cheshunt Compount as I have some seedlings damping off"

Hopefully I'm wrong, but that sounds too late to me ... my understanding is that it needs to be used prophylactically as a preventative, once the seedlings have actually damped-off its curtains ...

djbnat

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 21:27 »
Kristen
Thank you for your reply - sorry I should have been clearer, I bought it for the "second sowing" so as to reduce a repetition of the damping off.
Regards
DJB

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 21:34 »
Ah ... gotcha, and Snap!

I've bought two new packets of Petunia seed (for a couple of quid) and couldn't resist the Cheshunt Compound for ten quid (or whatever) at the checkout to try to save these chappies from the same fate as their brothers :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:12 »
Hi all
I have bought some Cheshunt Compount as I have some seedlings damping off, but I read that it can also benefit Bonsai Trees by deterring root rot. I water my Bonsai from the bottom reservoir tray but Cheshunt is usually applied from above as a "compost wash", so my question is will it still be effective if applied to the Bonsai from its reservoir tray?
Regards
DJB

I have several outdoor bonsias and have never heard of using cheshunt compound to avoid root rot BUT if you want to use it logic says it will be just as effective soaked up as poured on in this case. Do yours suffer a lot from root rot then? Good to hear from another 'bonsia keeper'  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

djbnat

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 17:28 »
Hi Sunshineband
This is a first for me for keeping Bonsai Trees but I am trying to avoid future trouble - the tre has not got root rot but what I read recommends Cheshunt as a preventative.  I have not applied it yet and as the tree is very healthy I am loathe to so I may just let it be.  Also had success getting some Bonsai seeds to germinate in the airing cupboard so one tree now has 4 small seedlings fo company  :)
Regards
DJB

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 19:18 »
I have had bonsias for more years than I can remember and have never lost atree to root rot. Having ssaid that, they are all outdoor trees and I know nothing of the specific care of indoor species. Maybe rootrot is an issue.
If the care instructions say to apply dloute cheshunt I'd go with it.
What seedlings are they?

djbnat

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 19:40 »
Hi Sunshineband
The original Bonsai tree that started it all off was a Christmas gift and is a Chines Elm approx 6" high.  On a learning curve I let it go dry once and it started to drop its leaves, that is when I started my "watering from below" regime and it has regained all of its dense leaves and growing well.  The seedlings are Japanese black pine and Chinese wisteria although I have sown more seeds than have germinated it is still a good return for only a £2 outlay.  Again these are watered from below with an occassional spray of the leaves.
Undecided whether to apply Cheshunt as they are going well - but as a preventative I won't know about a problem until it is too late.
Regards
DJB

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:04 »
They seedlings sound exciting and they could be a wonderful specimen in years to come. if you haven't done so already, I would suggest you gen up on training to make sure you catch things at the optimum time. Once that wisteria gets going .....

As you have full foligae on your Chinese Elm I am assuming you have it indoors, as mine sheds leaves in the autumn. All three of these species are hardy and as long as the pots don't freeze in the winter - we have a kind of staging in the garden with a covered top that we can drape fleece down from - they will be fine outside. If you end up with a lot of seedlings and young trees in training you might be very glad of this!!!! A monthly dose of cheshunt compund might well be helpful in keeping them healthy -- as you said, once roots have rotted it's a bit late  :tongue2:

If you have time, perhaps you could put a photo of your Elm on to share- the more enthusiasts we can get the better!

Hope tis is helpful  :)

djbnat

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 18:15 »
Hi Sunshineband
Yes the Chinese Elm is kept indoors and I have attempted to attach a photograph (not done this before so forgive me if it fails to attach!!!!). The tree is actually my OH and she has taken to buying and growing the seedlings. We are not "genned up" on training but she intends to have a read up and give it a go.
Useful to know they can be kept outside as the rate seeds are being bought by and germinated by OH we will need to expand  :D
Pleased to read shedding leaves is normal, when ours went dry and dropped a lot of leaves I did wonder if it would recover.
Regards
DJB
Photo0132.jpg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 18:32 »
Great photo! Yes Chinese Elm reacts to stress by dropping it's leaves but as you saw it can soon recover and looks very healthy in this piccie  :)

I wish you & your OH success with the seedlings   :D

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 37 queries.